Miners Defeat Champs in Entertaining Affair
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Champions saw another valiant comeback attempt fall short as they were defeated by the Sussex County Miners 5-3 on Wednesday evening at RCGT Park.
"[RHP Steve] Borkowski was throwing hard and I thought he had good stuff," said Champions manager Hal Lanier. "He just threw too many pitches. We gave up two runs with two outs and it comes back to bite you when you do that."
Borkowski went six innings, giving up five earned runs while striking out eight. Of the first six outs Borkowski earned, five were punchouts.
The Miners opened the scoring in the second inning, when OF Jayce Ray jumped on an inside pitch and lined it into the left field corner. The ball took a weird hop off the fence in foul territory and kicked away from LF Coco Johnson, allowing Ray to cruise into third with an RBI triple, scoring C Christian Correa.
The visitors would get another run across in the next inning, when DH Connor Crane singled home 3B Martin Figueroa.
As the rest of the Can-Am League has learned, the Miners are notorious for stolen bases. Their current total of 130 more than doubles the next closest competitor - and the Miners' knack for small ball bit the Champions tonight.
Miners manager Bobby Jones called for a double steal in the sixth, and a throwing error by SS Daniel Bick resulted in a run scoring.
The Champions showed good fight in the seventh inning. They tagged RHP Jordan Cummings, who had been lights out to that point, for three runs. 2B Michael Hungate recorded his first RBIs as a Champion, scoring RF Steve Brown and CF Chase Harris on a single.
However, the comeback attempt would fall short, despite RHP Ryan Leach and RHP Daniel Carela shutting down the Miners in the final innings.
The Champions will now hit the road for a four-game series with the Trois-Rivières Aigles. They will be back in Ottawa for a week-long homestand beginning on Monday, July 16 against the Quebec Capitales.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from July 11, 2018
- Can-Am League Game Recaps - Can-Am
- Miners Defeat Champs in Entertaining Affair - Ottawa Champions
- Can-Am League Game Recap - Can-Am
- Extra Inning Thriller Results in Jackals 5-4 Loss - New Jersey Jackals
- Wilson's 2-RBI Triple Wins it for Boulders in Extras - Rockland Boulders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa Champions Stories
- Simunic Brings Recruiting Experience to Champions Player Procurement Role
- Caillouet Changes Mind, Joins Cohort Returning to Ottawa
- Champions Sign Two Experienced International Free Agents
- Champions and OSEG Announce Strategic Partnership
- Gatineau-Native Phillippe Aumont Re-Joins Champions