Milwaukee Wave Suffers First Loss of the 18-19 Season
MILWAUKEE, WI., Jan 11th, 2019- The Milwaukee Wave experienced their first loss today after a steady pattern of six consecutive wins. The Wave was previously the only undefeated team in the Major Arena Soccer League, which ended after tonight's match up against the Kansas City Comets.
Final score, Milwaukee Wave 6, Kansas City Comets 7.
"I felt that our mentality this game just wasn't where it's been the previous six games," said Milwaukee Wave Head Coach Giuliano Oliviero. "It's going to happen. We made a lot of mistakes to beat ourselves. That's what it really comes down to... it's never going to be easy in this league."
Both the Milwaukee Wave and Kansas City Comets brought the heat throughout the entirety of the game. The Wave came out on top of the first quarter 3-1, but Comets made a comeback ending the second quarter with a lead over the Wave, 3-4. The third quarter concluded with a tie game of 4-4, then the game ended with the Comets coming out on top of the Wave 6-7.
"I think this loss can be good for us to understand that we are not unbeatable." said Milwaukee Wave defender Marcio Leite. "If a team comes and outworks us, and we don't execute what we work on in practice, we can lose. It's very important for us to learn from this."
Previous matchups between the Milwaukee Wave and Kansas City Comets ended with victories for the Milwaukee Wave with final scores of 10-8 and 10-6.
The Wave and the Comets will match up again on Saturday, February 16th at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
"It's a tough loss, but it's a quick turnaround. We have to put it behind us and get ready for tomorrow," said Milwaukee Wave defender Chad Vandegriffe. "We need to bring the energy and get back on track."
The Milwaukee Wave is back in the UW- Milwaukee Panther Arena tomorrow / Saturday, January 12th to take on the St. Louis Ambush for the second time this season. Kick-off is scheduled for 1:05pm CST/Milwaukee time.
Milwaukee Wave vs Kansas City Comets - Saturday, January 11th, 2019 at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena.
The Milwaukee Wave, along with Foley & Lardner LLP are honored to recognize a Hometown Hero every Wave game. Each selected hero will receive 4 VIP Tickets, a behind the scenes tour, a meet and greet with Wave players and more! Heroes can be nominated by family and friends.
NEXT HOME GAME SATURDAY, 1pm @ UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from January 12, 2019
- San Diego Sockers Match Notes vs. El Paso Coyotes - San Diego Sockers
- Harrisburg Fades, Baltimore Comes out 9-4 Winners - Harrisburg Heat
- Orlando Scores 39 Seconds In and Tropics Never Recover as SeaWolves Take 11-6 Win - Florida Tropics SC
- Blast Defeat the Heat 9-4 - Baltimore Blast
- Wave Back on Winning Track After Handily Defeating St. Louis Ambush - Milwaukee Wave
- Ambush Drop 7-1 Contest to Milwaukee on the Road - St. Louis Ambush
- Stars Fall to Flash 9-8 - Tacoma Stars
- Milwaukee Wave Suffers First Loss of the 18-19 Season - Milwaukee Wave
- Chiles' Hat-Trick Leads San Diego to Come-From-Behind 6-5 Win over Ontario - San Diego Sockers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Milwaukee Wave Falls to Orlando SeaWolves for Their Second Loss this Season
- Milwaukee Claims Victory on the Road over Florida Tropics, 10-9
- Milwaukee Wave Escapes Snow for a Weekend Full of Florida Soccer
- Wave Back on Winning Track After Handily Defeating St. Louis Ambush
- Milwaukee Wave Suffers First Loss of the 18-19 Season