MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled
MIDLAND, Mich. - Minor League Baseball announced today the cancellation of the 2020 season. No baseball will be played by the Great Lakes Loons in the Midwest League this year.
The decision was reached given the restrictions in place by the government regarding social gatherings, the information that is available to the medical community about COVID-19, and the financial ramifications of asking MiLB teams to host games with limited attendance or without fans.
"We're obviously disappointed to hear this news that we've been fearing would come since the coronavirus outbreak first impacted our daily lives back in March," Loons President & General Manager Brad Tammen said.
"Although we won't have baseball at the ballpark this summer, we're committed to Midland and the Great Lakes Bay Region. We will continue to work with our local partners to assist our region in recovering from the catastrophic flood and address the changing issues associated with the pandemic. We are upbeat about what the future has in store for the Loons, ESPN 100.9-FM, Dow Diamond and the Michigan Baseball Foundation. Our staff will be in touch with all corporate partners and ticket holders in the coming days and weeks regarding all purchases for the 2020 season".
The Loons remain committed to providing value to all of our supporters and will work with each individual or group to make sure their needs are met and questions answered. If you have questions, please feel free to contact the ticket office at (989) 837-2255. We look forward to seeing you next season!
Further information will be communicated as it becomes available.
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 30, 2020
- Bees Front Office and MiLB Issue Statement - Burlington Bees
- 2020 Season Gone - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees 2020 Season Cancelled - Burlington Bees
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled - Dayton Dragons
- Introducing: the Lemonade League - Lansing Lugnuts
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne TinCaps Lose 2020 Baseball Season - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 2020 MiLB Season Shelved - Lake County Captains
- 2020 MiLB Season Cancelled - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Offering Meal Kits for Both Families and Couples - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Parkview Foundation Accepting Donations Toward TinCaps Meal Kits for Healthcare Workers - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.