Bees 2020 Season Cancelled
"To say the entire Burlington Bees organization is saddened by this announcement is an understatement. We are heartbroken but the health and safety of our fans, players and employees is the #1 priority to our organization." stated Kim Parker, General Manager of the Burlington Bees.
Burlington's Community Field has a great history, rich in Minor League Baseball, as the smallest market to host full season minor league baseball. Burlington has been blessed to host 100 plus years of baseball with thousands upon thousands of young men pursuing their dream of becoming a Major League Baseball player here. Many players began their careers at Community Field from Paul Molitor, Vida Blue to Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas.
"The Burlington Bees have been synonymous with summer in Southeast Iowa and heading to a Bees game has been a summer tradition of area families for decades. We mourn this loss with our fans," Parker concluded.
The Burlington Bees Board of Directors are evaluating all options as to the future of baseball at Community Field. The team will personally be in contact with individuals affected to discuss ticketing and sponsorship options moving forward. More information will be released as it is available via the Burlington Bees Facebook page and website at www.gobees.com.
"These are unprecedented times for our country and our organization as this is the first time in our history that we've had a summer without Minor League Baseball played," said Minor League Baseball President & CEO Pat O'Conner. "While this is a sad day for many, this announcement removes the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 season and allows our teams to begin planning for an exciting 2021 season of affordable family entertainment."
Minor League Baseball, which began as the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues, was founded on Sept. 5, 1901.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 30, 2020
- Bees Front Office and MiLB Issue Statement - Burlington Bees
- 2020 Season Gone - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees 2020 Season Cancelled - Burlington Bees
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled - Dayton Dragons
- Introducing: the Lemonade League - Lansing Lugnuts
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne TinCaps Lose 2020 Baseball Season - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 2020 MiLB Season Shelved - Lake County Captains
- 2020 MiLB Season Cancelled - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Offering Meal Kits for Both Families and Couples - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Parkview Foundation Accepting Donations Toward TinCaps Meal Kits for Healthcare Workers - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.