Miami FC Hosts Red-Hot Monterey Bay at FIU Stadium
Miami, Fla. - The Miami Football Club will take on Western Conference foe Monterey Bay FC at FIU Stadium Saturday night.
Miami FC looks to win the first-ever meeting against Monterey as it searches for better seeding in the Eastern Conference. On the other hand, the visitors hope to extend their four-game undefeated streak to earn a playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Frustrating 2-2 draw at home against Atlanta United 2
Neither side took a hold of the game in the opening 20 minutes. Miami had more possession, but it did not translate to offensive danger until just after the 20th-minute mark. The home side produced three clear chances of goal in Atlanta United 2's 18-yard- box in a span of seven minutes. However, 18-year-old goalkeeper Vicente Reyes blocked all-three attempts on goal.
Center-back Callum Chapman-Page pulled Miami ahead with a headed goal from open play as the clock turned to 45:00. Sorto sent a lobbed cross from the right flank, and Chapman collected his second goal of the year.
Atlanta United 2's Darwin Matheus equalized in the 57th minute. Nonetheless, Miami responded with its second go-ahead goal of the night.
Captain Paco Craig dribbled up the middle of the pitch and dished out a through ball to Murphy. The American striker took one touch and finessed the ball around the keeper with his second. The goal is Murphy's 10th of the season, and the assist is Craig's second in two games.
Unfortunately, Miami FC was subject to an own goal in the 81st minute of the game, and the contest ended 2-2. The Orange and Blue created three close chances in stoppage time, but the late efforts were not enough to retake the lead for the third time.
First-ever meeting vs. Monterey Bay FC
Monterey Bay FC was established 19 months ago. The club is a continuation of the USL Championship franchise club Fresno FC.
Monterey endured a rocky start to its inaugural USL Championship season, losing seven out of nine games to start the season. Opponents outscored the Union 25-9 in that stretch. Things changed after a 2-0 win against Louisville City FC at Lynn Family Stadium in late May. Head coach Frank Yallop's men became more competitive, winning more and losing by smaller margins.
Monterey Bay arrives at Miami in a hot four-game undefeated streak, outscoring opponents 12-4. Forward Christian Volesky and attacking midfielder Sam Gleadle are responsible for most of the scoring in the Union's current run. Gleadle scored four and dished out three assists, while Volesky notched four goals.
Miami FC signs Claudio Repetto from Phoenix Rising
Miami FC announced Wednesday the signing of forward Claudio Repetto from Phoenix Rising.
The 25-year-old arrives at Miami after making 20 appearances and eight starts this year. Repetto scored a goal against Las Vegas Lights and bagged another against San Antonio early in the season. Also, he dished out an assist to Kevon Lambert in Phoenix's 2-1 win against Miami FC in April.
The Genoa, Italy, native had a breakthrough season with Charleston Battery in 2021. Repetto led the team in scoring and was named the club's offensive player of the year and newcomer of the year by the supporters.
Celebrate Pride Night with DJ Citizen Jane and the 305 community on Saturday. Gates open at 6 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 23, 2022
- Memphis 901 FC Stuns LouCity in Top-Of-The-Table Duel - Louisville City FC
- Memphis 901 FC Flies over Louisville City FC with Stoppage Time Winner from Smith - Memphis 901 FC
- Tale of Two Halves as Battery Fall 0-3 to Rio Grande Valley - Charleston Battery
- Stoppage Time Goal Lifts Memphis 901 FC Past Louisville City FC 2-1 - Memphis 901 FC
- Pinzon Leads Charge Against Charleston Battery - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Notes and Quotes: "We're Just Trying to Keep the Momentum Rolling" - Sacramento Republic FC
- Everything You Need to Know Before Orange County SC Visits Pittsburgh - Orange County SC
- Danny Vitiello Wins USL Championship Save of the Week for Week 28 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: FC Tulsa at Detroit City FC - September 24 - Hamtramck, Mich. 6:30 p.m. CT - FC Tulsa
- Righting the Ship: Le Rouge to Host FC Tulsa - Detroit City FC
- Orange County SC Signs Top Teenage Prospect Bryce Jamison - Orange County SC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC v SAC - San Antonio FC
- Rising Acquires Defender Gabriel Torres from FC Tulsa - Phoenix Rising FC
- Monterey Bay F.C. Travels to Florida for Eastern Conference Fixture with Miami FC - Monterey Bay FC
- FC Tulsa Defender Gabi Torres to Join Phoenix Rising FC Following Transfer Agreement - FC Tulsa
- Oakland Youth Symphony to Perform at Oakland Roots Last Home Game with Special Guest G-Eazy - Oakland Roots
- Orange County SC Announces Friendly with German Side Hamburger SV - Orange County SC
- Hartford Athletic and Stanley Black & Decker Partner for 4th Annual Match for a Cause - Hartford Athletic
- Miami FC Hosts Red-Hot Monterey Bay at FIU Stadium - Miami FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.