Orange County SC Announces Friendly with German Side Hamburger SV
Historic German side Hamburg SV are jetting out to Southern California to take on USL Champions Orange County in an exhibition game.
The German second tier side will take on OCSC on November 15, 2022 at Championship Soccer Stadium during their World Cup break.
Hamburger SV plays in the 57,000 seat Volksparkstadion in Hamburg, Germany and the former European champions have featured players such as Franz Beckenbauer, Uwe Seeler and Americans Bobby Wood and Benny Feilhaber.
"Our club's motto is Community Heart, Global Vision. We have always had international ambitions both through our player pathway and our partners, and hosting Hamburg is the next part of that journey," OCSC President of Business Operations Dan Rutstein said.
The HSV is one of the oldest clubs in Germany and are known for traditionally playing in their red shorts, leading to the nickname die Rothosen (the Red Pants). Their dinosaur mascot, "Dino Hermann" will travel with the team to Orange County to interact with the younger fans.
"Playing against international opposition just days before the World Cup starts is the right thing to do at the right time. And, of course, having a German-style beer fest is what our fans would want and expect," Rutstein said. "Hamburg is a fantastic club with a rich history. As well, like us, being a partner club of Rangers."
Last season, die Rothosen came close to earning promotion back into the Bundesliga. However, after finishing 3rd in 2. Bundesliga they lost their promotion play-off 2-1 on aggregate to Hertha BSC Berlin.
"For HSV, this tour is a very attractive opportunity to represent the DFL, German football and our club internationally and to gain experience," board member Jonas Boldt said. "The shared experiences and unique days in the USA will also further weld the team together and shorten the long winter break a little."
They are poised for another bright season, currently sitting top of the table after Matchday 9. HSV boasts the league's stingiest defense, having conceded just five goals in those nine matches.
"International games, especially versus a historic German Bundesliga team, are always special and it gives our players the opportunity to showcase themselves," President of Soccer Operations and General Manager Oliver Wyss said. "Hamburg, who have won the German Champion six times, has a very strong roster this season and we are looking forward to playing and hosting them in Orange County!"
The match, which kicks off at 7pm, will feature a German Beerfest and a World Cup theme.
Presale tickets will go on sale today, September 23 at 8am PDT for Orange County SC season ticket holders. Tickets to the general public will go on sale at www.ticketmaster.com September 26 at 10am PDT.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 23, 2022
- Memphis 901 FC Stuns LouCity in Top-Of-The-Table Duel - Louisville City FC
- Memphis 901 FC Flies over Louisville City FC with Stoppage Time Winner from Smith - Memphis 901 FC
- Tale of Two Halves as Battery Fall 0-3 to Rio Grande Valley - Charleston Battery
- Stoppage Time Goal Lifts Memphis 901 FC Past Louisville City FC 2-1 - Memphis 901 FC
- Pinzon Leads Charge Against Charleston Battery - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Notes and Quotes: "We're Just Trying to Keep the Momentum Rolling" - Sacramento Republic FC
- Everything You Need to Know Before Orange County SC Visits Pittsburgh - Orange County SC
- Danny Vitiello Wins USL Championship Save of the Week for Week 28 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: FC Tulsa at Detroit City FC - September 24 - Hamtramck, Mich. 6:30 p.m. CT - FC Tulsa
- Righting the Ship: Le Rouge to Host FC Tulsa - Detroit City FC
- Orange County SC Signs Top Teenage Prospect Bryce Jamison - Orange County SC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC v SAC - San Antonio FC
- Rising Acquires Defender Gabriel Torres from FC Tulsa - Phoenix Rising FC
- Monterey Bay F.C. Travels to Florida for Eastern Conference Fixture with Miami FC - Monterey Bay FC
- FC Tulsa Defender Gabi Torres to Join Phoenix Rising FC Following Transfer Agreement - FC Tulsa
- Oakland Youth Symphony to Perform at Oakland Roots Last Home Game with Special Guest G-Eazy - Oakland Roots
- Orange County SC Announces Friendly with German Side Hamburger SV - Orange County SC
- Hartford Athletic and Stanley Black & Decker Partner for 4th Annual Match for a Cause - Hartford Athletic
- Miami FC Hosts Red-Hot Monterey Bay at FIU Stadium - Miami FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orange County SC Stories
- Milan Iloski Equalizes at the Death, OCSC Steals a Point in Pittsburgh
- Everything You Need to Know Before Orange County SC Visits Pittsburgh
- Orange County SC Signs Top Teenage Prospect Bryce Jamison
- Orange County SC Announces Friendly with German Side Hamburger SV
- Everything You Need to Know Before Orange County SC Heads to Sactown