Mets Offense Goes Cold, Miracle Win 2-1
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Fort Myers Miracle used two solo home runs to beat the St. Lucie Mets 2-1 at Hammond Stadium on Wednesday.
Jacob Pearson put the Miracle on the board with a two-out solo shot in the third inning. Yeltsin Encarnacion hit a two-out blast in the seventh inning to break a 1-1 tie.
Both homers were surrendered by Luc Rennie, who otherwise was brilliant. Rennie ended up pitching a complete game. He only threw 90 pitches over eight innings. He scattered six hits, did not walk a batter and struck out six.
Rennie became the first Mets starting pitcher this year to pitch past the seventh inning. He has pitched St. Lucie's two complete games this season.
The Mets offense had its second consecutive rough game. Three Miracle pitchers combined for 11 strikeouts, including four straight to end the game.
The Mets had one great chance in the game to score runs. They loaded the bases with no outs in the fourth inning against starter Tyler Watson. However, the Mets only mustered one run when Manny Rodriguez hit into a double play. Watson then struck out Nick Meyer to end the inning.
The Mets were held to seven singles. They went 1 for 7 with runners in scoring position.
Watson held the Mets to one run in six innings. He struck out six and walked two in a no-decision.
Johan Quezada tossed 1.1 inning to get the win.
Moises Gomez retired all five batters he faced to finish out the game. He struck out the side in the ninth for his fourth save.
The Mets (35-20, 67-54) did receive some good news on Wednesday when Daytona ended Charlotte's eight-game winning streak. The Mets remain 4.0 games behind the first place Stone Crabs in the FSL South Division. Both teams have 17 games left.
The Mets streak of four consecutive series victories was snapped. The best they can do is a series split against the Miracle in the finale on Thursday. First pitch at Hammond Stadium is scheduled for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Hammerheads Take One of Two in Doubleheader against Lakeland - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Bradenton Flips Script on Florida, 4-1 and 5-1 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Bats Silenced in Shutout Loss to Blue Jays - Clearwater Threshers
- Tarpons Tally 15 Hits, Rout Cardinals, 11-4 - Tampa Tarpons
- Whitley Homers in 2-1 Loss to Daytona - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Mets Offense Goes Cold, Miracle Win 2-1 - St. Lucie Mets
- Encarnacion Energizes Home Crowd With Late Blast - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- The Blue Jays Take on the Threshers in Game Three - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Wed, Aug 14 at Daytona - Charlotte Stone Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.