Whitley Homers in 2-1 Loss to Daytona
DAYTONA, Fla. - Garrett Whitley homered Wednesday, but the Daytona Tortugas ended the Stone Crabs' eight game-winning streak with a 2-1 win at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.
Whitley's solo home run in the top of the seventh represented the only scoring for Charlotte (74-47, 39-16). With two outs, Whitley laced a low line drive over the wall in deep right center to make it 2-1.
Over his last nine games, the New York native is batting .353 with three doubles, a triple, three home runs and 10 RBI (1.154 OPS). He's raised his slugging percentage 39 points over that span.
Stone Crabs starter Stephen Woods Jr. (9-3) battled through five strong innings. He scattered six hits and fanned three while allowing just one unearned run.
Reliever Jack Labosky went three innings, surrendering one run on three hits.
In a scoreless game in the bottom of the fifth, Daytona (58-62, 23-32) left fielder Drew Mount reached out a fielder's choice before moving to second on a throwing error. The next batter was Alejo Lopez, who rolled a single into center to score Mount and make it 1-0.
Still leading by that margin in the bottom of the sixth, Jose Garcia pulled a double down the third base line to greet Laboksy. Three batters later, Bryce Yari lifted an RBI double into the left field corner to give the Tortugas a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs' eight-game winning streak was only their fifth of at least that length in franchise history, and their second this season.
The Stone Crabs will look to cap a 7-1 road trip at 7:05 p.m. on Thursday. Drew Strotman (0-0, 2.70) will make the start for Charlotte, against Ryan Lillie (2-7, 3.36) of Daytona. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on the Stone Crabs Baseball Network.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Hammerheads Take One of Two in Doubleheader against Lakeland - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Bradenton Flips Script on Florida, 4-1 and 5-1 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Bats Silenced in Shutout Loss to Blue Jays - Clearwater Threshers
- Tarpons Tally 15 Hits, Rout Cardinals, 11-4 - Tampa Tarpons
- Whitley Homers in 2-1 Loss to Daytona - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Mets Offense Goes Cold, Miracle Win 2-1 - St. Lucie Mets
- Encarnacion Energizes Home Crowd With Late Blast - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- The Blue Jays Take on the Threshers in Game Three - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Wed, Aug 14 at Daytona - Charlotte Stone Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Stone Crabs Stories
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
- Jeff Smith Returns to Lead Stone Crabs Coaching Staff in 2020
- Stone Crabs to Participate in Minor League Baseball's 2020 Copa de la Diversion
- Stone Crabs Complete Best Season in Franchise History
- Tommy Romero Named FSL Pitcher of the Year