Mets Clobber Threshers 11-0
CLEARWATER, Fla. - The St. Lucie Mets enjoyed their most dominant win of the season in an 11-0 thrashing of the Clearwater Threshers on Saturday at Spectrum Field.
The Mets scored two runs in the third inning, four runs in the fifth inning and five runs in the sixth inning.
Meanwhile, starting pitcher David Peterson was electric. He fired six scoreless innings, allowing just one infield single. He did not walk a batter and he struck out nine. Peterson retired 13 in a row at one point and only threw 72 pitches. Only one ball left the infield, a fly out to center field.
Seth Davis and Stephen Villines finished off the final three innings with five strikeouts. All told, the three Mets pitchers gave up two singles, did not walk anyone and recorded 14 strikeouts.
At the plate, Quinn Brodey was the star. He broke a scoreless tie with a two-out, two-run single in the third inning. Brodey finished the scoring by blasting a three-run homer in the sixth.
Brodey went 3 for 4 with six RBI and finished a triple shy of the cycle.
Mike Paez went 3 for 4 with three runs scored and a RBI. Gene Cone went 2 for 3 with a walk and three runs scored.
Ali Sanchez drove in three runs.
Jeremy Vasquez went 2 for 4 with a walk and two runs scored.
The 11-run win was the largest margin of victory for the Mets this season.
Clearwater starter Alejandro Requena took the loss. He gave up five runs in four innings. Blake Quinn took the brunt of the Mets attack. He was tagged for six runs in 1.1 innings of relief.
The Mets (20-27, 47-67) and Threshers (30-18, 62-54) conclude their series at Spectrum Field on Sunday at 1 p.m. New York Mets third baseman and captain David Wright is scheduled to play five innings at third base in a rehab assignment.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Isabel Becomes First Player in FSL to Reach 29 Homers Since '08 - Daytona Tortugas
- Tampa Takes First Three Games of Four Game Set - Bradenton Marauders
- Florida Snaps Skid with Thrilling Walk-Off - Florida Fire Frogs
- Offense Stays Hot as Tampa Wins 3rd-Straight - Tampa Tarpons
- Miracle Tie Game In Eighth, But Fall In Ninth, 3-2 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Six-Run First Propels Stone Crabs to Sixth Straight Win - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Ramos Rehabs in 11-0 Loss to St. Lucie - Clearwater Threshers
- Mets Clobber Threshers 11-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: August 11, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: at Bradenton - Tampa Tarpons
- Tortugas Swept Friday Night - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.