Mesquite Outlaws Overcome Early Deficit, But Lose to San Diego Sockers 5-3
SAN DIEGO, California -Â The Mesquite Outlaws came from a 4-0 deficit at halftime to lose their matchup against the San Diego Sockers, 5-3. Attendance at the game was 3,218.
The Sockers came out of the gate swinging and scored three goals in the first two minutes of play. Midfielder Hiram Ruiz made the first of the three goals, and earned an assist on another. The other two goals were scored by forwards Leonardo de Oliveira and Kraig Chiles. In the second period, the Sockers scored another goal, this one by defender Cesar Cerda. The Outlaws finished the half scoreless.
The Outlaws came back fresh after halftime and scored two unanswered goals in the third period, the first from midfielder Jorge DeLeon and the second from forward Bradlee Baladez. Early in the fourth period, defender Mitchell Cardenas put another ball in the goal, to make the score 4-3. With just under three minutes left to play, the Outlaws pulled goalie Eduardo "Pollo" Cortes and put in a sixth attacker, Cody Ellis. The Sockers' Cerda then put in his second goal of the night, an empty-netter, to end the scoring at 5-3.
Mesquite goalkeeper Cortes kept the Sockers' score from getting any higher with 10 saves during the game. Defender Cardenas has four shots on goal, scoring one, and three blocks.
The Outlaws' next game is on the road vs. the Soles de Sonora on Saturday, Jan. 25. Games can be watched on MASL.tv.
MASL Match Report
Match: Mesquite Outlaws vs San Diego Sockers
Date: Sunday, Jan. 19, 2020
Venue: Pechanga Arena, San Diego, California
Kickoff: 7:05 p.m. CT
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from January 19, 2020
- SeaWolves Fall to Tropics in Lakeland - Orlando SeaWolves
- Fury Come from Behind to Top Stars 7-4 - Ontario Fury
- Mesquite Outlaws Overcome Early Deficit, But Lose to San Diego Sockers 5-3 - Mesquite Outlaws
- Parreiras, Tavernese Get Hat Tricks as First-Place Tropics Roll Past Orlando, 16-3 - Florida Tropics SC
- Heat Pulls Away in the Third Quarter to Down the Lancers - Rochester Lancers
- Ambush Split Weekend Series with Utica - St. Louis Ambush
- Utica City Rolls Past St. Louis - Utica City FC
- San Diego Sockers Match Notes vs. Mesquite - San Diego Sockers
- Heat Defeat Soles de Sonora 5-2 - Harrisburg Heat
- Stars Fall to Fury 7-4 - Tacoma Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.