Fury Come from Behind to Top Stars 7-4
Tacoma, WA. - The Tacoma Stars (4-7) had a lead heading into the final quarter Saturday night but the Ontario Fury (3-7) rallied with four unanswered goals to down the Stars 7-4 in front of 2,534 fans at the accesso ShoWare Center.
In true Tacoma vs Ontario fashion, this was a physical match and the lone goal of the opening frame was an unassisted marker from Nestor Hernandez with 6:51 to play in the quarter. The teams battled defensively during the first 15 minutes and the teams combined for only seven shots, five of which belonged to the Fury.
MASL leading goal-scorer Franck Tayou knocked in back to back goals for the visitors in the second quarter giving the Fury a 3-0 advantage with 8:20 on the clock in the first half. Mike Ramos put the Stars on the board with his 14th goal of the season on an assist from Nick Perera to make it 3-1 Fury at the half.
The tide turned for the Stars in the third quarter as they posted three consecutive goals beginning with an Alex Caceres power play goal with 7:40 left in the quarter. Raphael Cox converted on a Ramos assist to tie the score at three before Perera put the Stars in front. He beat Ontario keeper Chris Toth with 14 seconds left in the third for a 4-3 Stars lead.]
Ontario controlled the final quarter scoring four goals on only six shots while keeping Tacoma off the scoreboard during the last 15 minutes. Israel Sesay brought Ontario level at 4-4 with 10:13 left to play in the game. Fury goals from Evan McNeley and Jesus Pacheco less than two minutes apart gave Ontario some breathing room with a 6-4 lead with 2:30 remaining. An empty net goal from Juan Carlos Gonzalez gave the Fury the final goal and 7-4 win, their first road victory of the season.
1st - ONT Hernandez 8:09. Penalties - none.
2nd - ONT F. Tayou (Stinson) 1:31; ONT F. Tayou (Topete) 6:37; TAC Ramos (Perera) 12:04. Penalties - none.
3rd - TAC Caceres (Keitz) 7:10 PP; TAC R. Cox (Ramos) 9:36; TAC Perera 14:46. Penalties - ONT Toth blue card (GK handball outside the box) 5:15; TAC Keitz yellow card (delay of game) 11:07.
4th - ONT Sesay 4:49; ONT McNeley 10:45 PP; ONT Pacheco (F. Tayou) 12:30; ONT Gonzalez 14:24. Penalties - ONT Sesay blue card (holding) 7:40; TAC Keitz yellow card (severe unsportsmanlike manner) 8:58; TAC Keitz red card (3 penalties) 8:58.
Attendance - 2,534
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from January 19, 2020
- SeaWolves Fall to Tropics in Lakeland - Orlando SeaWolves
- Fury Come from Behind to Top Stars 7-4 - Ontario Fury
- Mesquite Outlaws Overcome Early Deficit, But Lose to San Diego Sockers 5-3 - Mesquite Outlaws
- Parreiras, Tavernese Get Hat Tricks as First-Place Tropics Roll Past Orlando, 16-3 - Florida Tropics SC
- Heat Pulls Away in the Third Quarter to Down the Lancers - Rochester Lancers
- Ambush Split Weekend Series with Utica - St. Louis Ambush
- Utica City Rolls Past St. Louis - Utica City FC
- San Diego Sockers Match Notes vs. Mesquite - San Diego Sockers
- Heat Defeat Soles de Sonora 5-2 - Harrisburg Heat
- Stars Fall to Fury 7-4 - Tacoma Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ontario Fury Stories
- Juan Carlos Gonzalez Named Ontario Fury 2019-2O Fan Player of the Year
- Nestor Hernandez Named Ontario Fury 2019-20 Iron Man Player of the Year
- Israel Sesay and Uzi Tayou Named Ontario Fury 2019-20 Defensive Co-Players of the Year
- Edson Cardona Named Ontario Fury 2019-20 Community Player of the Year
- Justin Stinson Scores Ontario Fury 2019-20 Goal of the Year