Melton's Walk-Off Homer Caps Comeback Win
ASHEVILLE- The Asheville Tourists had two runners on with no outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, trailing the Greensboro Grasshoppers 4-3. Jacob Melton fell behind in the count 0-2 before parking a three-run Moon Shot Homer over the right-centerfield wall. Melton's blast gave the Tourists a 6-4 victory; Asheville's first walk-off win of the season.
The Tourists fell behind in the game 4-0 when the Grasshoppers hit three Home Run in the first two innings. Asheville's starting pitcher, Valente Bellozo, really settled in after the barrage and he retired 11 of the last 13 batters he faced. That kept the Tourists in the game.
Deylen Miley picked up where Bellozo left off. Miley worked four shutout innings out of the bullpen and earned his first win of the season. Asheville's offense came to life while Miley was shutting down Greensboro.
Ryan Clifford opened the scoring for the Tourists with a two-run Home Run to dead centerfield in the bottom of the seventh. The next inning, Miguel Palma cut the deficit to one with a Sacrifice Fly to centerfield that plated Zach Dezenzo.
Collin Price and Kobe Kato worked back-to-back walks to open the bottom of the ninth. The Grasshoppers then made a pitching change with Melton coming to the plate. The Tourists outfielder responded by delivering his third Home Run in as many games.
Asheville and Greensboro will face off in Game Two of the current series with an Education Day contest on Wednesday. The first pitch is slated for 11:05am ET.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 16, 2023
- Claws Drop Series Opener 8-3 to Wilmington on Tuesday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Renegades Earn 9-6 Victory - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Drive Offense Stalls, Dash Win Series Finale, 9-2 - Greenville Drive
- Parada, Ramírez Can't Slug 'Clones Past 'Gades - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Seymour Homers for Third Straight Game, Bowling Green Falls 10-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dash Win Shortened Game One Over Aberdeen, 8-7 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Grasshoppers Drop First Game of Away Series Against the Tourists, 6-4 - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Mateo Homers in Crawdads' Loss - Hickory Crawdads
- Melton's Walk-Off Homer Caps Comeback Win - Asheville Tourists
- HVR Game Notes - May 16, 2023 - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Blowout Win, Dominant Pitching Highlight IronBirds Series Split with Renegades - Aberdeen IronBirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.