McNabb Holds Line, Pats Rally to Win in Shootout
Regina, Saskatchewan - Dean McNabb made 13 saves in a relief appearance and the Regina Pats completed an incredible four goal comeback win, 5-4 in a shootout over the Kootenay ICE Wednesday at the Brandt Centre.
In the first, the ICE got goals from Jakin Smallwood and Jaeger White to lead 2-0 after 20 minutes. In the second, Kootenay went up 4-0 after both Connor McClennon and Brad Ginnell found the back of the net and that spelled the end of the night for Max Paddock, Dean McNabb replaced him in goal. The Pats got one back with under five minutes left when Brady Pouteau hammered a slap shot from the top of the right circle for his third and it was 4-1 ICE after two periods. In the third, the Pats got to within two on a goal from Brett Clayton, his fourth of the year, eight minutes into the period. Two minutes later, Carter Massier banked in his third of the season and Regina was within a goal with half a period to play. Then, shorthanded with just over three minutes left, Logan Nijhoff stole a puck in the offensive zone and tied the game with his sixth of the year, the game was tied 4-4 and needed overtime. In the extra frame, Dean McNabb was sensational, stopping all four shots he faced, and the game went to a shootout. In round five, Garrett Wright scored for Regina and Dean McNabb stopped Chase Hartje as the Pats completed an incredible comeback, 5-4 the final.
The Pats were outshot 35-25, the powerplay was oh for three and the penalty kill five for five with a shorthanded goal. Brady Pouteau and Liam Schioler paced the offence with two points each, while Dean McNabb made 13 saves and four more in the shootout to secure the first star honours.
The Pats (17-38-1-2) are back in action on Friday at the Brandt Centre against the Calgary Hitmen at 7 p.m.
Kootenay - Jakin Smallwood (11) from Peyton Krebs - 3:45.
Kootenay - Jaeger White (24) from Holden Kodak - 17:53.
Kootenay - Connor McClennon (9) from Cole Muir - 5:47.
Kootenay - Brad Ginnell (13) from Zach Patrick - 12:38.
Regina - Brady Pouteau (3) from Sergei Alkhimov - 15:30.
Regina - Brett Clayton (4) from Brady Pouteau and Liam Schioler - 8:29.
Regina - Carter Massier (3) from Riley Krane and Liam Schioler - 10:20.
Regina - Logan Nijhoff (6) unassisted - 16:59 SH.
Shots on Goal
Regina 13-3-8-0-(25) Kootenay 16-11-4-4-(35)
Regina 0/3 Kootenay 0/5
- Sergei Alkhimov has an assist in each of his last three games.
- Dean McNabb played for the first time since January 26, stopping all 13 shots he faced in the win.
- The Pats finish their season series with Kootenay with a 2-2-0-0 record.
The Pats are back in action on Friday at the Brandt Centre against the Calgary Hitmen at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at reginapats.com, the Brandt Centre Box Office and at any Regina Safeway, where Fun Zone tickets are $13 plus tax.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2019
- McNabb Holds Line, Pats Rally to Win in Shootout - Regina Pats
- Bad Start Dooms Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- Red-Hot Blades Make Way into Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Tigers Announce Autograph Nights - Medicine Hat Tigers
- 2019 Kamloops Blazers Hockey School August 12-16 - Kamloops Blazers
- Rocket Alumni Named to Canada All-Rookie Team - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars, United Way Team up for Final Mega 50/50 Jackpot of the Season - Prince George Cougars
- Jason Fram Earns Canada West All-Star Honors - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals and CMHA - BC Division Team up to Raise Awareness About Mental Health on Sunday - Victoria Royals
- ICE Begin Four-Game Road Trip in Regina - Kootenay Ice
- 16 WHL Alumni Named to Canada West All-Star & All-Rookie Teams - WHL
- Raiders, CMHA Prince Albert Teaming up for Third Annual Night - Prince Albert Raiders
- Wheat Kings, Hitmen Clash Wednesday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Wednesday, February 20 at Brandon - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host Kootenay Wednesday to Wrap Season Series with the ICE - Regina Pats
- Silvertips Rush past Prince George - Everett Silvertips
- Third-Period Collapse and Ensuing Loss to Americans Leaves Rebels Boss Frustrated to the Core - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Score 5 Third Period Goals to Complete 6-3 Comeback Victory over Rebels - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Power Past Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Everett Pulls away in Third - Prince George Cougars
- Rockets Settle for Victoria Split - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Pats Close Regular Season with Shootout Loss
- Game Day Preview: Pats Wrap 2018-19 Season in Brandon Saturday
- Pats Wrap Home Slate with Win over Brandon
- NEWS Pats Announce 2018/19 Individual Award Winners
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host Wheat Kings in Final Home Game of 2018-19 Friday