Wheat Kings, Hitmen Clash Wednesday
Brandon, MB. - Two teams battling for a Western Hockey League playoff berth face off Wednesday night at Westoba Place.
Winners of four straight and seven of their last ten, the Brandon Wheat Kings host the Calgary Hitmen, who currently sit four points up on them in the battle for the two wildcard spots in the WHL's Eastern Conference.
Like Brandon, the Hitmen have been playing some of their best hockey of the season and enter the game with a 7-2-1-0 record in their last ten games.
The Wheat Kings are currently on the outside looking in when it comes to post-season play but the club's recent surge has put them back to within striking distance of Calgary, Red Deer and even Medicine Hat.
The Tigers, who sit third in the Central Division, are six points up on Brandon, with the Wheat Kings enjoying two games in hand.
Red Deer meanwhile continues to falter, losing last night to the Tri-City Americans and are just two points up on Brandon in the race for the eighth and final playoff berth. Both teams have twelve games remaining.
This is the third game of the season between these two teams, with each club winning on the road so far.
Brandon coach David Anning says with his club set to play eight of its final 12 games on the road, every home game is a must for the Wheat Kings. To make matters more complicated for the Wheat Kings, Wednesday's game will be their fifth in eight days.
We were having success and that breeds confidence," Anning said. "I think our guys are feeling good about their games, and I think (Monday) was one of those games where you're coming off of three big emotional wins and there was a letdown. We need to learn from that but overall I really think that our guys have had more urgency and work ethic, and as a result we're getting rewarded, which is going to give our guys confidence."
Puck drop Wednesday is 7pm. Tonight's game a presentation of Ashley HomeStore and its Hope to Dream program.
Brandon will close out this week's 4-game home stand Friday night against Saskatoon, before going on to play seven straight road games.
Tickets to both games this week are on sale at the Keystone Centre box office, by calling (204) 726-3555 or online at keystonecentre.com. To those fans that attended last Wednesday's 5-2 "Winning Wednesday" victory over Edmonton, you have until 1pm Wednesday to exchange your ticket for a "free" ticket to this game.
Another reminder has to do with Don Cherry Bobbleheads - for those that were lucky enough to pick up a "blue" card during Saturday's game against Prince Albert, your first opportunity to pick up your new bobblehead, featuring the likeness of Hockey Night in Canada's star of Coaches Corner is 4-8pm today at the MNP Hall - located across from the Keystone Centre box office.
ABOUT ASHLEY HOMESTORE HOPE TO DREAM PROGRAM: A portion of every Ashley HomeStore mattress set purchase goes to Hope to Dream, a program designed to provide a free twin mattress, boxspring and bed frame to underprivileged children.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2019
- McNabb Holds Line, Pats Rally to Win in Shootout - Regina Pats
- Bad Start Dooms Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- Red-Hot Blades Make Way into Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Tigers Announce Autograph Nights - Medicine Hat Tigers
- 2019 Kamloops Blazers Hockey School August 12-16 - Kamloops Blazers
- Rocket Alumni Named to Canada All-Rookie Team - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars, United Way Team up for Final Mega 50/50 Jackpot of the Season - Prince George Cougars
- Jason Fram Earns Canada West All-Star Honors - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals and CMHA - BC Division Team up to Raise Awareness About Mental Health on Sunday - Victoria Royals
- ICE Begin Four-Game Road Trip in Regina - Kootenay Ice
- 16 WHL Alumni Named to Canada West All-Star & All-Rookie Teams - WHL
- Raiders, CMHA Prince Albert Teaming up for Third Annual Night - Prince Albert Raiders
- Wheat Kings, Hitmen Clash Wednesday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Wednesday, February 20 at Brandon - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Preview: Pats Host Kootenay Wednesday to Wrap Season Series with the ICE - Regina Pats
- Silvertips Rush past Prince George - Everett Silvertips
- Third-Period Collapse and Ensuing Loss to Americans Leaves Rebels Boss Frustrated to the Core - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Score 5 Third Period Goals to Complete 6-3 Comeback Victory over Rebels - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Power Past Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Everett Pulls away in Third - Prince George Cougars
- Rockets Settle for Victoria Split - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.