Mavericks Top Utah in Thrilling Back and Forth Battle, 4-3
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks defeated the Utah Grizzlies Saturday night in a thrilling game that featured three ties and three lead changes with the Mavericks edging out Utah by a final score of 4-3, delighting a sold out crowd of 5,800 fans at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. David and Darian Dziurzynski both had multipoint games and goaltender Mason McDonald was rock steady in net, stopping 24 of the Grizzlies 27 shots.
The Mavericks jumped out to a 1-0 lead when David Dziurzynski buried a rebound goal in front of the net on the power play. Jared VanWormer and his brother Darian Dziurzynski assisted on the opening score. The Grizzlies answered just over a minute later with a power play goal from Taylor Richart. The Mavericks outshot the Grizzlies 12-8 in a frantic first period.
The two teams continued their back and forth battle into the second period, with the Grizzlies nosing themselves in front on a goal from Caleb Herbert. Eric Freschi and Gage Ausmus assisted on the goal. The Mavericks drew even a minute and a half later on Mike McMurtry's first goal of the season. Willie Raskob assisted on the goal and David Dziurzynski notched his second point of the game with the secondary assist. Kansas City reclaimed the lead with four minutes to go in the second period on a Darian Dziurzynski goal. Rocco Carzo and Corey Durocher tacked on assists. The Grizzlies yet again made it a tie game at 3-3 with just over a minute left in the second on a goal from Henke. Freschi earned his second assist of the game on the goal. The Grizzlies outshot the Mavericks 14-8 in the middle frame.
Darian Dziurzynski continued his big night eight minutes into the third period with his second goal of the night. Carzo tallied his second assist of the evening and defenseman Neal Goff was credited with the secondary assist. Darian's second goal of the night would prove to be the game winner as Mavericks goaltender Mason McDonald stood strong in net for the final minutes of regulation, stopping all five Utah shots in the third period. This was McDonald's first game since being sidelined with a lower body injury in mid-December.
Saturday's win pushed the Mavericks to 15-4-1-0 at home on the season.
The Mavericks continue their home stand this Tuesday against the Rapid City Rush at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. It's the Mavericks Two-For-Tuesday promotion. The Mavericks play another weekend doubleheader. All center ice and terrace tickets are buy one, get one free. Please visit kcmavericks.com/government for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2019
- Idaho Claims 5-4 Win over Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Tulsa Battles Back to Beat Allen in Overtime - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Come from Behind, Hold off Thunder in 5-4 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Third Period Burst Leads Kalamazoo to Win over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Rays Spoil Stomper's Birthday Party - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Milner Shines in Return During 2-1 Victory over Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Worcester Wishes They Had Sunday off After 5-2 Loss to Monarchs - Worcester Railers HC
- Late Rally Falls Short for Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Run Through Railers, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- K-Wings Use Three Goal Third to Top Fuel 4-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Drop Third Straight with 4-2 Loss to Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Score Four Unanswered to End Weekend with Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Trample Beast 7-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Growlers Halt Beast Win Streak at Five - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Komets Game Day Snap Shot, January 27 - Wheeling Nailers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Wmu Day Sends Fuel Back to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Fall 4-3 to the Mavericks - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Top Utah in Thrilling Back and Forth Battle, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3
- Durocher's Hat Trick Not Enough in Mavericks 5-3 Loss at South Carolina
- Mavericks Can't Contain Greenville, Drop Second Game of Road Trip 5-3
- Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip
- Mavericks Falter in Third Period, Fall 6-2 to Tulsa