Mavericks Sign Two Rookies to Roster
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Missouri Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman announced Friday the Central Hockey League (CHL) club has signed rookie forwards Kyle Bochek and Nick Vergeer for the team's inaugural season.
Bochek, 21 (3/11/88), comes to the Mavericks having played the past three seasons in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) most recently for the Saginaw Spirit. The Port Severn, Ontario native has played a total of 211 games in the junior ranks with 38 goals and 28 assists. The 6-foot-0, 195-pound forward set a career-high last season with the Spirit in which he tallied 16 goals and 113 penalty minutes.
"Kyle is a feisty graduate of the Ontario Hockey League," said Hillman. "He is hungry to start his professional career and will bring a lot of energy to the ice."
Vergeer, 26 (6/26/83), begins his professional career with the Mavericks having played the last four seasons for Wilfrid Laurier University. The West Lorne, Ontario native averaged more than a point per game during his career with the Golden Hawks. In 102 games played, Vergeer tallied 28 goals and 89 assists for 117 points. The 5-foot-6, 170-pound forward is nearly the same build as Mavericks' head coach Scott Hillman and the two also played in the same collegiate league, the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) league. Hillman went on to play nine professional seasons in the CHL.
"Nick proved through his CIS career that he is a smart and sound two-way hockey player," said Hillman. "He was the captain of one of the top CIS teams and he will come here trying to prove that he can be a solid professional player night in and night out."
The Mavericks now have 15 players signed for the team's upcoming inaugural season.
Players signed for the Mavericks' 2009-10 inaugural season are as follows:
Forwards Defensemen Goaltenders
Jeff Christian Shaun Arvai Mike Gorman
Simon Watson Tyler Fleck Doug Groenestege
Carlyle Lewis Doug MacIver
Bill Vandermeer Travis Martell
The Mavericks opening weekend at the brand-new Independence Events Center is November 13-14 against the Wichita Thunder. Season tickets are on sale now starting at $352, and group tickets start as low as $10 per person. The Mavericks 32-game home schedule can be found at www.MissouriMavericks.com. For more information, call the Mavericks' front office at (816) 252-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from September 18, 2009
- IceRays Add Two More Rookies - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mavericks Sign Two Rookies to Roster - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cruthers Joins CHL Champs for 2009-10 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Eagles Add Two More To Camp Roster in Nesdill & Bieber - Colorado Eagles
- RiverKings To Hold BBQ/Pick-A-Seat Festival - Mississippi RiverKings
- Oilers Wish BOK Center Happy Birthday - Tulsa Oilers
- Ofukany and Fritch Earn AHL Tryouts - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks' Ruskowski On Cooking Show Saturday - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- KC Continues Their Hunt for a Playoff Spot as Road Trip Closes Out
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3
- Durocher's Hat Trick Not Enough in Mavericks 5-3 Loss at South Carolina
- Mavericks Can't Contain Greenville, Drop Second Game of Road Trip 5-3
- Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip