Mavericks Re-Sign Sellan, Add Ruwe
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Missouri Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman announced Saturday at the Mavericks Fan Fest the Central Hockey League (CHL) team has re-signed forward Karl Sellan and signed defenseman Cole Ruwe (ROO-wee) for the 2010-11 season. The signings bring the total number of players signed by the Mavericks to 14.
Sellan, 25 (4/4/85), enters his second season with the Mavericks and fifth overall in the CHL. The Montreal, Quebec native battled injuries in his first season with Missouri and finished with 23 points (12-1123) in 43 games. Prior to the 2009-10 season, Sellan played for the Arizona Sundogs for three seasons and helped claim a President's Cup Championship in 2008. The 5-foot-11, 200-pound forward has averaged over 20 goals in his first four seasons with a total of 85 goals. Overall, he has 147 points (85-62147) in 225 games.
"We are very excited to have Karl Sellan back for a second year," said Hillman. " Our fans will see a very different player in Karl next season. He will have the same passion but he will be healthier, better conditioned and more focused."
Ruwe, 25 (4/2/85), just two days older than Sellan, is entering his second season professionally. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound defenseman played his rookie season last year with the International Hockey League's (IHL) Bloomington PrairieThunder. In 71 games, he had 11 points on three goals and eight assists and contributed 87 penalty minutes. Prior to turning pro, the Pekin, Illinois native played four seasons at Nichols College where he had 20 goals and 77 assists in 110 games. Ruwe competed in six games for the Wichita Thunder immediately following his senior year in 2009 and had a goal and 12 penalty minutes. He is the fourth defenseman signed by the Mavericks.
"Cole is another good skating, young, physical defenseman with good size," added Hillman. "This signing is another positive step as we look to build a blue line that will compete with the top offensive teams in the league."
Mavericks' signings to date:
Olivier Filion, F Gerry Festa, G
Brett Hammond, F Blake Forsyth, D
Derek Knowles, F Chris Mifflen, D
Toby Lafrance, F Cole Ruwe, D
Carlyle Lewis, F Mike Wakita, D
Derek Pallardy, F
Karl Sellan, F
Bill Vandermeer, F
Simon Watson, F
The Missouri Mavericks will begin their second season in the Central Hockey League on October 15, 2010 against the Odessa Jackalopes at 7:05 p.m. The Mavericks play their home games at the state-of-the-art Independence Events Center where parking is always free. Individual game tickets will go on sale September 10, and season tickets are on sale now starting at just $10 per game. Call (816) 252-7825 for more information or visit www.MissouriMavericks.com .
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from August 16, 2010
- Sundogs Ink Point-Per-Game Forward Steve Kaye - Arizona Sundogs
- Team to Make Announcement, Introduce Defenseman Tyler Butler at Press Conference Wednesday at 2pm - Arizona Sundogs
- Mallards Announce 2010-11 Promotions; More Special Events - Quad City Mallards
- Brother Act in American Airlines Alumni Game - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Bugs to Face RiverKings Twice in Preseason - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks to Battle Bees in Pre-Season - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks Re-Sign Sellan, Add Ruwe - Kansas City Mavericks
- RiverKings Announce Pre-Season Tilts, Training Camp - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Community Update - Laredo Bucks
- Bossier Broadcaster and New Knoxville Coach featured on Episode 11 of Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Extend NHL Affiliation with Calgary Flames for 2019-20
- Mavericks Announce Full 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule
- Mavericks Acquire Forward Zeb Knutson from Maine to Complete Futures Trade
- Mavericks Announce Protected List
- Mavericks Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Home Schedule