Matthew Roeder of Victor Wins 2012-13 Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship
(Rochester, NY)... The Rochester Americans Alumni Association announced recently the recipient of the 2012-13 Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship Award. Victor senior Matthew Roeder was the winner of a scholarship among a group of three finalists that also included Brockport's Zachery Coughlin and Brighton/East Rochester/Honeoye Falls-Lima's Michael Finestone.
Created in the memory of Thomas M. Nichols, the award honors the Section V high school hockey player who plays to his full potential and whose work ethic, character and determination exceeds excellence. Originally from Boston, Nichols was a local attorney at Harris Beach who was an enthusiastic supporter of youth and high school hockey. He was also part of the ownership group in the early 1970's and was instrumental in keeping the Amerks in Rochester during the 1970-71 season. Nichols appreciated a player's effort more than their natural ability. Based on these principles, each high school coach submits a nomination of one the players from their team that they feel best meets the criteria of the award. After much consideration, a selection panel interviews the finalists and selects the winner. The award will be applied toward tuition costs at the recipient's chosen college.
Matthew Roeder of Victor was a dedicated player who led by example throughout his high school career. Working his way up from a practice player to being named one of the captains and playing regardless of injury or illness, he never missed a practice or a game. Recent circumstances kept him off the ice late in the season, but through his passion and leadership, he continued to be a positive influence for his teammates.
Zachary Coughlin of Brockport, a five-year varsity player and two-year captain, was a strong defensive player who was dedicated to his team during his career. Through his leadership and school spirit, he earned the respect of his peers and coaches both on and off the ice.
Michael Finestone of Brighton/East Rochester/HF-L was a focused and disciplined player as well as an intense competitor throughout his high school career. Through determination, positive attitude, and outstanding effort, Finestone led by example and like, Coughlin, was named captain in his junior year.
For more information or to purchase tickets to an Amerks game, visit www.amerks.com or call 1-855-GO-AMERKS.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 2, 2013
- Stanton, Karlsson Lead Hogs to Victory - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Fall Behind Early, Drop 6-3 Decision to Chicago - San Antonio Rampage
- Francis Pare Has Historic Night in Griffins 5-1 Victory over Aeros - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Fall to Rockford 2-1 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Strome Leads Sound Tigers to Win over Sharks - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Start Six-Game Road Trip with 6-3 Triumph at San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Falcons' Winning Streak Doused By Devils - Springfield Falcons
- Barons Beat Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals' Comeback Falls One Goal Short vs. Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Skate Past Aeros 5-1 - Houston Aeros
- Paradis Dealt to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Penguins Hold on for Road Win over Admirals - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Skid Hits Five Games After 4-2 Loss to Sound Tigers - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Winners at Springfield - Albany Devils
- Lightning Acquire LW Philippe Paradis from Blackhawks - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Makes Seven Player Moves with Texas Stars; Cameron Signs SPC - Texas Stars
- Dallas Stars Acquire Cameron Gaunce from Colorado in for Tomas Vincour - Texas Stars
- Cundari Joins Heat; Howse and Martin to Utah - Abbotsford Heat
- Kings Trade Drewiske - Manchester Monarchs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Johan Larsson from the Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Blues Place Oshie on IR, Recall Allen and Cracknell - Peoria Rivermen
- Canadiens Assign Nathan Beaulieu to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Enter Home Stretch of Regular Season as Playoff Race Heats Up - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall D Nick Schaus from ECHL, Sign D Kevin Gagne to Amateur Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Dan Miner Bobbleheads Unveiled - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Raise More Than $60,000 in 13th Annual MDA Jersey Auction - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Acquire Garrett Stafford from Washington for Dane Byers - Oklahoma City Barons
- Crunch to Wear Orange in Support of Syracuse University Final Four Appearance - Syracuse Crunch
- Nashville Predators Recall Mueller from Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bruins Acquire Jaromir Jagr From Dallas - Providence Bruins
- Matthew Roeder of Victor Wins 2012-13 Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship - Rochester Americans
- SJ Sharks Sign Crane, Nieto, Tarasov and Tierney - Worcester Sharks
- Forward Dane Byers Joins Hershey Bears - Hershey Bears
- Midwest Division Showdown Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Connauton Included in Roy Trade - Chicago Wolves
- Schroeder Returned to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Reduce Carbon Footprint and Win IceCaps Memorabilia - St. John's IceCaps
- Worcester Sharks Team up with March of Dimes on April 6 at DCU - Worcester Sharks
- Forward Joel Rechlicz Returns to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Pirates Acquire Matt Clackson from Hershey - Portland Pirates
- Panthers Recall Forward Greg Rallo from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Blackhawks Reassign Hayes and Morin - Rockford IceHogs
- Pirates Sign Justin Feser to Amateur Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Sabres Recall Defenseman Adam Pardy from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Centre Aaron Gagnon Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - St. John's IceCaps
- Niklas Svedberg Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - Providence Bruins
- Gagnon, Svedberg, Leggio Named American Hockey League Award Winners - AHL
- Amerks' David Leggio Named Ccm/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Albany, Game #67 - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.