Matos, Pelletier Key BlueClaws 6-3 Tuesday Win
HAGERSTOWN, MD - Ben Pelletier and Malvin Matos each homered and doubled as the BlueClaws topped Hagerstown 6-3 on Tuesday night at Municipal Stadium.
The BlueClaws (21-28/50-69) level their series with the Suns (24-27/54-67) at one game apiece after Hagerstown took the opener on Monday.
Mark Potter came on in the eighth and got the last four outs to earn his eighth save. Tom Sutera(1-2) gave up two runs in the eighth but earned his first BlueClaws and second professional victory.
The BlueClaws got a quick run in the first on a home run by Matos, his ninth of the season.
After the Suns tied the game in the bottom of the inning, Matos doubled in the third and scored on a base hit by Luis Garcia to give the BlueClaws a 2-1 lead.
Lakewood extended their lead in the fourth on a two-run home run from Ben Pelletier. It was his ninth of the year and first since July 2nd.
Suns starter Ryan Williamson (4-1) came out of the game after four innings, allowing four runs on eight hits. He took his first loss of the season.
Christian Vann came on in the fifth and gave up two runs, though both were unearned. Jonathan Guzman scored on an error and Malvin Matos scored when McCarthy Tatum grounded into a double play.
Lakewood starter Kevin Gowdy gave up one run in 4.1 innings of work. He finished two outs shy of qualifying for his first win of the season.
Matos and Pelletier each had two hits and led a nine-hit BlueClaws attack in their victory. Matos, who scored three runs, is 31-72 since July 16th.
The teams finish their series on Wednesday at 2:05 pm. LHP Taylor Lehman (1-0) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Reid Schaller (2-2).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Genoves, Winn Lead Jackets Past Greenville - Augusta GreenJackets
- Rodriguez Tallies Career-High Six RBI in 10-9 Loss - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Win Wild One over West Virginia - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Kannapolis Blanked by 'Hoppers Tuesday Night - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Two Big Innings the Difference for Rome - Asheville Tourists
- Multi-Home Run Game Not Enough for Legends - Lexington Legends
- Columbia's Pitchers Allow Just One Run...And Lose - Columbia Fireflies
- It's Deja Vu All over Again: Dogs Walk off 'Flies to Clinch Series - Charleston RiverDogs
- Matos, Pelletier Key BlueClaws 6-3 Tuesday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Late Rally Not Enough in Suns Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 13 at Charleston (Game 117) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 2019 CSRA Job Fair Set for Tuesday, August 20th - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Notes (August 13) - West Virginia Power
- Asheville Outlasts Rome 11-6 in Wild Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.