Match Report - Montreal Impact 3-4 Toronto FC
ORLANDO, Florida - The Montreal Impact lost its second game of the MLS is Back Tournament 4-3 against Toronto FC on Thursday night, in Orlando, Florida.
The Impact will play its next game on Tuesday, July 21, at 10:30pm EDT (TVA SPORTS, TSN, 98,5, TSN 690), against D.C. United at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, in Orlando, Florida.
Defender Jukka Raitala started his 50th game with the Impact.
Midfielder Romell Quioto started his 50th game in MLS.
Midfielder Emanuel Maciel started his first game for the Montreal Impact and registered his first assist.
Midfielder Saphir TaÃ¯der found the back of the net for the eighth time from the penalty spot in MLS.
The press conference, raw footage and photos of the game are available here: https://mls.imagencloud.com/
TFC - Richie Laryea 8' (Pozuelo)
MTL - Romell Quioto 14' (Maciel)
TFC - Ayo Akinola 25' (Pozuelo, Piatti)
MTL - Saphir TaÃ¯der (penalty) 37'
TFC - Ayo Akinola 37' (Pozuelo)
TFC - Ayo Akinola 83' (DeLeon, Westberg)
MTL - Saphir TaÃ¯der (penalty) 94'
MTL - Emanuel Maciel 6'
MTL - GK-Clément Diop; D-Jukka Raitala, Luis Binks (Rod Fanni 46'), Jorge Corrales; M-Victor Wanyama, Samuel Piette, Saphir TaÃ¯der, Shamit Shome (Zachary Brault-Guillard HT), Emanuel Maciel (Anthony Jackson-Hamel 73'); F-Romell Quioto (Orji Okwonkwo 79'), Maximiliano Urruti (Bojan 68')
Subs not used - Evan Bush, Jonathan Sirois, Karifa Yao, Amar Sejdic, Lassi Lappalainen, Clément Bayiha, Mathieu Choinière
TFC - GK-Quentin Westberg; D-Chris Mavinga, Omar Gonzalez, Auro Jr; M-Michael Bradley, Marky Delgado (Liam Fraser 66'), Alejandro Pozuelo, Richie Laryea (Jacob Shaffelburg 85'), Tsubasa Endoh (Laurent Ciman 59'); F-Pablo Piatti (Nick DeLeon 66'), Ayo Akinola (Griffin Dorsey 86')
Subs not used - Alex Bono, Eriq Zavaleta, Erickson Gallardo, Noble Okello, Patrick Mullins, Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Jayden Nelson
"There were things to rectify from the first game. Our control over the ball was a lot better today. This tournament will benefit those who make the least mistakes. On our end, from a defensive standpoint, we need to rework a few things. The way we moved the ball was positive though. We created a lot of chances in the second half. Emanuel Maciel in midfield and Romell Quioto had a huge game."
"We need to stay focused and apply ourselves. A tournament has that effect on players. The way we played between the lines was very good."
"It's disappointing not to gain points today, but we need to think about the long run as well. These games count for the season, so we can't afford to lose points just because we might be out of the tournament. We need to play every game like it's our last. We need to build off the good things we did today and look at ourselves in the mirror to rectify what we did wrong, because we conceded some goals too easily today."
"These are plays we've been working on in training repeatedly, and the coach has been insisting I make these movements into those open spaces. Today it worked out well, but we need to keep working. I watch a lot of video with the coach concerning my movement and it's been very influential to my success in Montreal."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 16, 2020
- Toronto FC (4) - Montreal Impact (3) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Match Report - Montreal Impact 3-4 Toronto FC - Montreal Impact
- AEG and Monkey Knife Fight Enter into Wide-Ranging Partnership for the LA Galaxy, LA Kings and Ontario Reign - LA Galaxy
- 2021 Season Ticket Membership Deposits Now Available - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: July 17, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- City vs. NYCFC: a Look into the Numbers - Orlando City SC
- Amaya's first career goal propels Orange and Blue to first win of 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 to FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Dignity Health Sports Park to Host Special Food Distribution on Saturday, July 18 with Los Angeles Regional Food Bank - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils All-New Mobile App, Delivering Fans Best-In-Class Digital Experience - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Continues MLS Is Back Tournament Friday against Minnesota - Real Salt Lake
- Preview: Sporting and Colorado Meet Friday in MLS Is Back Tournament - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Crew SC Names Jaime McMillan as Vice President, Soccer Administration and Operations - Columbus Crew SC
- Quakes erase two-goal deficit, move into first place in Group B - San Jose Earthquakes
- Quakes storm back late to defeat the 'Caps - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.