Match Preview: Legion FC V. North Carolina FC
Legion FC is back on the road this weekend as it takes on North Carolina FC on Saturday, May 18 at 6:00PM CT. The boys will look to build off of momentum gained from a comprehensive win the U.S. Open Cup in midweek and rebound from a loss in the league last weekend versus Louisville City FC.
The return of a few key pieces to the active roster will undoubtedly give the squad a boost, as goalkeeper Matt VanOekel and midfielder Mikey Lopez are both on track to return from injury, and loanees Brian Wright, Zach Herivaux and JJ Williams will all make the trip to NC from their respective MLS clubs.
Due to playing a third match in eight days, Head Coach Tom Soehn is again tasked with overseeing rotation within his starting group, but after the midweek U.S. Open Cup match remarked, "it was a good opportunity for us to get some guys in that maybe haven't played as much, see what they can do, and hopefully get some other guys back to help us by the weekend."
Center back Marcel Appiah was back in training with the squad this week but will miss his seventh game in a row with a calf strain, and center back Kyle Fisher will remain out due to a hamstring strain, as per the UAB Medicine injury report. Everyone else on the Legion FC roster is healthy and ready to go.
North Carolina FC, led by first-year coach, and MLS coaching veteran, Dave Sarachan, currently sit seventh in the USL Championship Eastern Conference standings, four points ahead of Legion FC, but also will be looking to improve upon a loss at the hands of Ottawa Fury FC last time out.
Striker Mario Lomis leads the frontline with six goals already this year, the midfield is composed of veteran leaders in Austin de Luz, Stephen Miller, and Ben Speas, and the backline is full of young talent. The team's average age is just over 23, with NCFC academy products like US U-20 hopeful Manny Perez growing into key roles.
Follow @bhmlegion on Twitter for more info and live game updates from Cary, NC, and watch live on ESPN+.
Legion FC return home to BBVA Compass Field to face regional rival Nashville SC on Wednesday, May 22 at 7:00PM. Tickets are available at bhmlegion.com/tickets or by calling the Legion FC Ticket Office at 205-600-4635.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 17, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Acquire Abdul Rwatubyaye on Loan from Colorado Rapids - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. Reno 1868 FC - May 18, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- 3 Things to Know About Saturday's Nashville SC Match against Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. North Carolina FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Daniel Rios Seeking to Continue Scoring Run against Old Rivals in Independence - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Looks to Build on Five-Match Unbeaten Streak at Home - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC Looking to Extend Unbeaten Streak Saturday at Home against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: RGV FC Ready to Defend Their Home on Military Appreciation Night - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Phoenix Rising FC Seeks to Continue Home Unbeaten Streak in League Play - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Bethlehem Steel FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Tickets for Memphis 901 FC's Next Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match Available for Season Ticket Holders - Memphis 901 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Looks to Snap Road Skid Saturday against OKC Energy FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- STLvOTT Rescheduled for September 4 - Saint Louis FC
- New Date for Fury FC Trip to Saint Louis Announced - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Readies for Home Test against Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- Hartford Athletic Announces Paul Buckle as Technical Advisor to the Chairman - Hartford Athletic
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Ottawa Fury FC at Talen Energy Stadium - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Match Preview: #TBRvNY - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.