Phoenix Rising FC Seeks to Continue Home Unbeaten Streak in League Play
Phoenix Rising FC is back to USL Championship play Saturday with a matchup against Las Vegas Lights FC at Casino Arizona Field. It'll be Military Appreciation Night presented by Mobile Mini and the first 2,000 fans who arrive will receive a PRFC camo bucket hat. Kickoff is scheduled at 7:30 p.m. and gates open at 6 p.m.
The club returns to league play and hopes to continue the success it had in its last regular season match, a 3-1 win over Rio Grande Valley Toros FC. In that match, forward Adam Jahn scored a brace in the first half and James Musa capped off the club's scoring with a long-range missile in the second half. The brace earned Jahn USL Player of the Week honors.
Las Vegas comes into the match unbeaten in its last three matches, going 2-0-1 in that stretch. The club won its last match, 3-0, over Colorado Springs Switchbacks last Saturday. The club's leading scorer, Irvin Parra, scored a pair of goals with Samuel Ochoa adding a goal of his own. Goalkeeper Thomas Olsen earned his fifth clean sheet of the season.
This will be the fourth all-time meeting between the two clubs with PHX's all-time record being 2-1-0.
The largest margin of victory in the series is four (a 4-0 PHX win in the first-ever match of the series on June 13, 2018)
Both of PHX's wins were clean sheets.
Forward Jason Johnson and midfielder Solomon Asante hold the record for most career goals against LV with two each.
A Little Bit About Las Vegas Lights
Leading scorer Irvin Parra's seven goals are tied for second in all of USL Championship, just one behind the league leader.
Parra's 39 shots also tops the league, ten more than the next highest player.
Goalkeeper Thomas Olsen's five clean sheets is tied for second in all of USL Championship, just one behind the league leader.
LV is tied for second in USL Championship in passing accuracy (81%).
LV is fourth in USL Championship in fouls conceded.
LV has outscored opponents 7-2 in its last three matches.
A Little Bit About Phoenix Rising
Adam Jahn's brace against Rio Grande Valley makes him the club's new leading scorer with five goals.
Junior Flemmings assist on one of Jahn's goals against RGV pulled him into a tie with Solomon Asante for club assist leader. Both have four.
Goalkeeper Zac Lubin's four clean sheets is just one less than the Western Conference co-leaders Thomas Olsen (LV) and Logan Ketterer (ELP).
Solomon Asante's 3.8 key passes per match is almost one full pass higher than the next highest player in the league (3.0).
Per Opta, Solomon Asante's average match rating of 7.8 is tied for the best average match rating in the league with two other players.
Where it all started
The PHX-LV series began at Casino Arizona Field on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. That date is also significant as it was the first match head coach Rick Schantz took over following the departure of previous head coach Patrice Carteron.
Shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots
It could be a busy evening for both goalkeepers. LV (175) and PhX (173) are the top two teams in USL Championship in shots taken and both clubs are tied for sixth in the league in goals scored (18). Defenders will also have their hands full as lV (81%) and PHX (80%) are in the top five in the league in passing accuracy.
Not in their house
PHX is unbeaten at home in seven consecutive matches (regular season and playoffs). The defense has allowed just one goal in the last three matches at home.
Moving on up
Should they play a full 90, two players will make their way up the all-time list in career minutes played for the club. Amadou Dia needs just 31 minutes played to jump Chris Cortez for third on the all-time minutes played list. Earlier this season, Dia became just the fourth players in club history to log more than 5,000 minutes. Kevon Lambert could also move up this week. He needs to play just two minutes to surpass Scott Morrison for sixth on the list. Lastly, Solomon Asante needs to play just 61 minutes to surpass current Rising assistant coach Blair Gavin for eighth on the list.
Iron Man Watch
Forward Junior Flemmings remains the only player on the roster who has appeared in every match this season (10). Defender Amadou Dia remains the club's minutes-played leader with his 810 minutes in nine appearances (all starts). Defender A.J. Cochran is second with 799 minutes in nine appearances. Kevon Lambert is third with 735 minutes played in nine appearances. Asante rounds out the group with 700 or more minutes played in a match with 712 minutes in eight appearances.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 17, 2019
- Switchbacks FC Acquire Abdul Rwatubyaye on Loan from Colorado Rapids - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. Reno 1868 FC - May 18, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- 3 Things to Know About Saturday's Nashville SC Match against Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. North Carolina FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Daniel Rios Seeking to Continue Scoring Run against Old Rivals in Independence - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Looks to Build on Five-Match Unbeaten Streak at Home - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC Looking to Extend Unbeaten Streak Saturday at Home against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: RGV FC Ready to Defend Their Home on Military Appreciation Night - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Phoenix Rising FC Seeks to Continue Home Unbeaten Streak in League Play - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Bethlehem Steel FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Tickets for Memphis 901 FC's Next Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match Available for Season Ticket Holders - Memphis 901 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Looks to Snap Road Skid Saturday against OKC Energy FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- STLvOTT Rescheduled for September 4 - Saint Louis FC
- New Date for Fury FC Trip to Saint Louis Announced - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Readies for Home Test against Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- Hartford Athletic Announces Paul Buckle as Technical Advisor to the Chairman - Hartford Athletic
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Ottawa Fury FC at Talen Energy Stadium - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Match Preview: #TBRvNY - Tampa Bay Rowdies
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising Improves to 12-0-0 on $1 Beer Night in Front of Record Crowd
- Phoenix Rising FC Seeks to Continue Winning Streaks
- Rising Transfers Collin Fernandez to Saint Louis FC
- Forward Adam Jahn Named to USL Team of the Week
- Phoenix Rising Reaches Nine Wins in a Row After Shutting out Rio Grande Valley