Mallards' Masterful Pitching Downs Dock Spiders 4-2
FOND DU LAC, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (33-19) powered past the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (21-31) 4-2 on Sunday at Herr-Baker Field. The Mallards' pitching staff allowed just three hits and dominated the Spiders. It marked Madison's eighth win over Fond du Lac through the first 10 meetings between the teams in 2019.
The Mallards scored their first runs of the series in the second inning. With two runners on and two out, Nick Figus (Illinois Wesleyan) roped an RBI double. A few pitches later, Ben Anderson (Georgia) knocked a two-RBI single up the middle to give Madison an early 3-0 cushion.
The Dock Spiders' offense was quiet until the fourth inning, getting their first hit and first run on one swing. Luke Robinson (Western Carolina) hit a solo home run to right field and slimmed the Mallard lead to 3-1.
In the seventh, Otto Grimm (Minnesota) laced an RBI single for Fond du Lac and cut Madison's lead to one run, 3-2.
Figus notched his second RBI of the afternoon in the eighth. With the bases loaded, Figus was hit by a breaking ball in the back and brought home a run to create a 4-2 Madison edge which ultimately held on as the final.
AJ Archambo (Oral Roberts) earned the win for the Mallards. The right-hander crafted a strong five innings and gave up just one hit, the solo home run. Houston Glad (Texas Wesleyan) donned the loss for the Dock Spiders after allowing three runs.
Theo Denlinger (Bradley) pitched a perfect ninth inning and picked up his seventh save of the summer for the Mallards.
In a one-run, 3-2 game, the Mallards' offense was not phased. The next half-inning, the team responded by loading the bases to begin the frame and eventually recreate a two-run lead which was more than enough for the masterful core of Madison pitchers.
Archambo stranded two runners in each of the first two innings and did not allow a hit until the fourth inning. He notched his third win of the season and shut down the Dock Spider offense.
Anderson and Figus led the offense with two-RBI games each, bringing home all four of the Mallards' runs between the two. Anderson is now hitting .303.
Nick Gile (Madison College) churned out a multi-hit game and finished 2-for-5 at the plate, scoring one of the four runs.
The Mallards continue their three-game road trip with a visit to Mequon, Wisconsin, for a series against the Lakeshore Chinooks. First pitch on Monday is slated for 6:35 p.m. from Kapco Park. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 21, 2019
- Border Cats Skid Hits Four - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Rafters Take Nightcap in Doubleheader against Wausau - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Split Sunday Doubleheader with Wisconsin Rapids - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- St. Cloud Shuts out Duluth at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Larks Split Final Series against Mankato - Bismarck Larks
- MoonDogs Split Series with Larks Following Win Sunday - Mankato MoonDogs
- Pitchers' Duel Ends in Favor of St. Cloud - Duluth Huskies
- Stingers Fall Short in Rally - Willmar Stingers
- Parkinson Wins Third Straight, Leonard Scores Thrice in 9-1 Victory - Waterloo Bucks
- Kingfish Flop Back to Life in the Ninth for Walk-Off Win - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Booyah Lose for Third Consecutive Day - Green Bay Booyah
- Kingfish Walk-Off Growlers - Kenosha Kingfish
- Mallards' Masterful Pitching Downs Dock Spiders 4-2 - Madison Mallards
- Rivets Drop Third Straight as Traverse City Completes Sweep - Rockford Rivets
- Bombers Storm Back to Split Series with Kokomo - Battle Creek Bombers
- Pit Spitters Last Dime Hot Dog Is Monday Night - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Play Sunday Doubleheader with Wausau - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rivets Drop Series Opener to Pit Spitters - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Rally Falls Shy in Traverse City
- Mallards Compete against Traverse City for Great Lakes Championship
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs