Mallards Defeat Woodchucks to Continue Win Streak
Madison, Wis - The Madison Mallards (14-4) earned their third consecutive win after defeating cross state rival, the Wisconsin Woodchucks (10-9), 5-3. Madison's steady pitching and dominant offense prevented the Woodchucks from escaping with the win.
The first two innings were silent as neither team put any runs on the board. In the bottom of the third, the Mallards began to make some noise, taking a 2-0 lead off of RBIs by Justice Bigbie (Western Carolina) and Timo Schau (Southern Wesleyan).
Responding with three runs in the top of the fourth, the Woodchucks grabbed a quick 3-2 lead after a dropped called strike and Brandon Seltzer (Palm Beach Atlantic) scored and a two-run home run by Byron Murray (Lynn University). The Mallards responded with three runs in the bottom of the inning powered by an RBI double from Nick Gile (Madison College), who later came in to score on a wild pitch, which opened up a 5-3 lead.
Eliot Turnquist (Madison College) gave a stellar performance for his second start, he earned seven strikeouts through five innings. At the beginning of the sixth, Turnquist exited the mound after being hit with a sharp line drive up the middle, bringing in the Brian Weissert (Fordham) for the Mallards.
Weissert, Leon Davidson (North Carolina A&T) and Theo Denlinger (Bradley) locked up the win after dominating through the Woodchucks lineup.
Starting pitcher for the Woodchucks JC Ariza (Howard CC) was awarded the loss after giving up five hits.
Tomorrow the two teams return to the Duck Pond to close out the series. The evening includes post-game fireworks, presented by Zimbrick Honda. First pitch is set for 6:05 p.m. Gates open at 5:05 p.m.. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Booyah Shutout for the First Time All Season - Green Bay Booyah
- Bombers Walk off on Rivets in Dramatic Comeback - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rafters Shut out Booyah in Divisional Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Defeat Woodchucks to Continue Win Streak - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Lose Lead in the Fourth Inning, Falling to Mallards 5-3 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Pit Spitters Offense Explodes in Series Opening Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Duluth Huskies Weekly Recap: Week 3 - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Travel to Green Bay for Division Tilt - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks to Hold Youth Baseball Camp on June 22 - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Host Series against Woodchucks - Madison Mallards
- Chinooks Drop Two in Madison - Lakeshore Chinooks
- St. Cloud's Bullpen Shines, Rox Drop Series Finale to Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.