Magic Drop in Wire-To-Wire Contest against Knicks
The Lakeland Magic (20-21), the NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, lost to the Westchester Knicks (28-14), 110-105 in front of a home crowd at the RP Funding Center.
The Magic took an early lead with a strong first quarter outscoring the Knicks 29-20 with new addition, Byron Mullens posting an early 11 points. The Magic shot 57.9 percent (11-19) from the field and 62.5 percent (5-8) from three. Comparatively, the Knicks were 33.3 percent (9-27) and 20 percent (1-5) in the quarter. The Knicks had a stronger second quarter outscoring the Magic 26-25 and tallying a 54-46 Magic lead heading into the locker room.
The Knicks tied it up at 60 in the first part of the third quarter, but Lakeland would go on an 11-point run to extend its lead back into double-digits giving the Magic a 6-point lead heading into the fourth. The Knicks put it in high gear and scored 42 points in the fourth quarter to come from behind and win with the final score 110-105.
Byron Mullens had 22 points and 7 rebounds. Rodney Purvis had 21 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists. Troy Caupain had a double-double with 16 points, 11 rebounds and 5 assists. Jamel Artis posted 16 points, 3 rebounds and 5 assists.
For the Knicks, Nigel Hayes had an impressive 35 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists. Billy Garrett had 22 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists. Sekou Wiggs came off the bench with the double-double scoring 16 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists.
The Magic have a two week road trip ahead playing their next game against the Oklahoma City Blue on Wednesday, March 7, at 12:00 p.m. The game can be seen on Eleven Sports. The Westchester Knicks take on the Long Island Nets on Tuesday, March 6, at 7:00 p.m.
Lakeland Magic single game tickets and group tickets are available now. For ticket information, visit lakelandmagic.com or call 863.825.3258.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 4, 2018
- Bighorns Grab Win in Arizona - Reno Bighorns
- Archie Goodwin Leads as Suns' Skid Continues - Northern Arizona Suns
- Red Claws Lose Lead, Fall to Swarm - Maine Red Claws
- Jefferson's Big Day Thwarted by BayHawks Victory - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Holds on to Beat Delaware 109-106 to Complete Season Sweep - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs Best Fort Wayne Mad Ants 126-117 - Austin Spurs
- Magic Drop in Wire-To-Wire Contest against Knicks - Lakeland Magic
- Westchester Knicks Pull out 42-Point Fourth Quarter for Comeback Win at Lakeland Magic - Westchester Knicks
- Wizards Assign Chris McCullough to Northern Arizona - Northern Arizona Suns
- San Antonio Assigns Derrick White to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Balanced Effort Helps Blue Sweep Lakers - Oklahoma City Blue
- South Bay Drops Second Straight in Loss to Blue - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.