Maciel's Magic Not Enough In 7-2 Loss
JUPITER, Fla. - Gabriel Maciel reached base five times, but the Jupiter Hammerheads pulled away late for a 7-2 victory over the Miracle on Saturday night at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium.
Maciel had two singles, a walk, and was hit by a pitch twice. He also stole a base and scored both runs for the Miracle. In three games since his call up from Low-A Cedar Rapids, he is 5-for-10 with three walks and six runs scored.
Down 1-0 entering the fifth, Trevor Larnach tied the game for the Miracle with an RBI double into the left field corner. Larnach leads the FSL with 24 doubles and his .318 average is also tops in the league. He finished 2-for-4.
Jupiter went back in front 3-1 with a pair of runs in the sixth. B.J. Lopez delivered an RBI double and Victor Victor Mesa had an RBI single, one of his four hits in the game. He also drove in three.
Fort Myers loaded the bases with nobody out in the seventh, but only came up with one run on a sacrifice fly by Ryan Jeffers. Jupiter scored four times in the bottom of the frame to break open the game. The Hammerheads out-hit the Miracle, 13-8. Fort Myers was just 2-for-16 with runners in scoring position and left 12 on base.
Jordan Balazovic started for the Miracle and allowed one run on six hits in five innings. He walked three and struck out five, taking a no-decision. Joe Record (1-2) suffered the loss in relief. Tyler Beck pitched a scoreless inning out of the Fort Myers bullpen with a strikeout in his professional debut.
Edward Cabrera started for Jupiter and also took a no-decision. He allowed a run on four hits with two walks and eight strikeouts in five innings. Sean Guenther (3-0) picked up the win in relief.
The four-game series concludes on Sunday afternoon in Jupiter, as the Miracle look for a split. Right-hander Cole Sands will come off the Injured List and start for Fort Myers. First pitch is 1:00 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 22, 2019
- St. Lucie Slides Past Florida Late, 6-4 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Clutch Pitching Leads the Way to a Dunedin Victory - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Threshers Toss Combined No-Hitter to Win Series over Daytona - Clearwater Threshers
- Tarpons Repay Favor, Stun Marauders in 2-1 Win - Tampa Tarpons
- Hammerheads Run Away with Game Three against Miracle - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Threshers' Trio No-Hits Tortugas, 5-0 - Daytona Tortugas
- Mets Rally Late for 6-4 Win over Fire Frogs - St. Lucie Mets
- Stone Crabs Show Fight in 9-6 Loss to Lakeland - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Maciel's Magic Not Enough In 7-2 Loss - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Dunedin and Palm Beach Play Game Three in Clearwater this Evening - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Sat, June 22 vs Lakeland - Charlotte Stone Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.