Lynchburg Blanked in 2019 Season Finale
Lynchburg, Va. - The Lynchburg Hillcats dropped the final game of the 2019 season on Monday, falling 3-0 to Winston-Salem.
Lynchburg (62-73, 30-38) caps the campaign with a season-high 11 games below the .500 mark with the loss to the Dash (72-61, 34-35). The Hillcats posted their worst record since the 2011 season, which was the last time the club did not qualify for the playoffs.
Winston-Salem started the scoring in the first.. Steele Walker worked a lead off walk and moved to second base on a balk. Three batters later, Jameson Fisher drilled an RBI single to score Walker and give the Dash a 1-0 edge.
The game stayed that way until the eighth inning. Andrew Vaughn led off the frame with a double and Craig Dedelow singled to put runners at the corners. Fisher came though again with an RBI single to score Vaughn, pushing Winston's lead to 2-0. Later in the inning, a bunt single from Jonathan Allen plated Dedelow to widen the gap to 3-0, capping the scoring.
The Hillcats had chances in the finale, but went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
Brock Hartson (Loss, 2-3) started for Lynchburg and fired three innings of one-run ball. Felix Tati spun two scoreless innings, Randy Valladares and Dakody Clemmer each tossed a scoreless frame and Yapson Gomez issued two runs in the eighth. Jonathan Teaney worked a clean ninth.
Konnor Pilkington worked three scoreless innings in the start for Winston-Salem. Kevin Escorcia (Win, 2-2), Wyatt Burns, Jacob Lindgren, Jose Nin, Luis Ledo and Andrew Perez each worked a scoreless inning in relief.
The Hillcats will be back in action in April 2020. Season Ticket plans for the 2020 season are on sale now. Lynchburg will also host the 2020 Carolina League All-Star Classic on Tuesday, June 23.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144, or visit the City Stadium box office.
The Lynchburg Hillcats are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. The Hillcats are eight-time Carolina League Champions, having most recently won the Mills Cup Championship in 2017. The Hillcats play their home games at City Stadium, which has been home to Minor League Baseball in Lynchburg since 1963. Visit the Hillcats online at Lynchburg-hillcats.com, and follow the Hillcats on Twitter (@LynHillcats), Instagram (@LynHillcats) and Facebook (Lynchburg Hillcats). For more information about the Lynchburg Hillcats, please contact Max Gun at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Woodpeckers Fend off Wood Ducks in Regular Season Finale - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Red Sox Sweep Mudcats with 3-1 Win - Salem Red Sox
- Red Sox Beat Mudcats 3-1 to Secure Postseason - Salem Red Sox
- Lynchburg Blanked in 2019 Season Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Carolina Loses Season Finale 3-1 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash Post Shutout in Season Finale at Lynchburg - Winston-Salem Dash
- September 2 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Drub Frederick 11-2 in Franchise's Final Potomac Game - Potomac Nationals
- Keys Drop Season Finale - Frederick Keys
- September 2 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (September 2 at Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.