Keys Drop Season Finale
FREDERICK, MD - In the final game of the 2019 season, the Frederick Keys (24-44, 53-84) lost an 11-2 contest to the Potomac Nationals (40-30, 70-67) on Labor Day. The Keys dropped their final six games of the season and finished with their worst record since 2004. During the season, the Keys had 12 players promoted to Double-A Bowie, boasted nine midseason all-stars at the Visit Frederick Carolina League All-Star Classic, and garnered four CL weekly awards.
On Monday, the P-Nats took an early 5-0 lead thanks to a two-run single from Alex Dunlap and a three-run home run from KJ Harrison. Robbie Thorburn delivered with a solo blast that hit off the scoreboard to give the Keys their first run in third inning.
In the fourth, the P-Nats and Keys traded off runs, with the Keys scoring on a Will Robertson sacrifice fly to make it 6-2 P-Nats.
In the later innings, the P-Nats got three home runs, including a pair of two-run home runs from Omar Meregildo and Osvaldo Abreu as well as a solo shot from Gilbert Lara.
Ofelky Peralta (3-3) took the loss after allowing five runs on four hits in three innings. Francys Peguero (1-1) earned the win, completing five innings and striking out three.
Zach Jarrett finished 2019 as the offensive standout, earning end of the year all-star honors as the utility outfielder in the Carolina League. Jarrett led the team with a .286 batting average and .769 OPS. He made two stints with the Bowie Baysox this season.
The Keys had several standout pitching performances throughout the year. DL Hall paced the club with 116 strikeouts and ranked first in the league with 12.9 SO/9IP among pitchers with 80+ innings. Brenan Hanifee led the team with nine wins and threw the Keys' first complete-game shutout since 2013. Diogenes Almengo was the team leader with 13 saves while Tim Naughton led the Orioles organization with 20.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Woodpeckers Fend off Wood Ducks in Regular Season Finale - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Red Sox Sweep Mudcats with 3-1 Win - Salem Red Sox
- Red Sox Beat Mudcats 3-1 to Secure Postseason - Salem Red Sox
- Lynchburg Blanked in 2019 Season Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Carolina Loses Season Finale 3-1 in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash Post Shutout in Season Finale at Lynchburg - Winston-Salem Dash
- September 2 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Drub Frederick 11-2 in Franchise's Final Potomac Game - Potomac Nationals
- Keys Drop Season Finale - Frederick Keys
- September 2 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (September 2 at Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.