Lugnuts Speed to First Win of 2019, 7-3
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Johnny Aiello and Alejandro Kirk stole home in consecutive innings, Reggie Pruitt stole second base three times, and the Lansing Lugnuts (1-1) accelerated to their first win of 2019, 7-3, over the Fort Wayne TinCaps (1-1) on Friday night at Parkview Field.
Jordan Groshans added a single, double, two walks, two runs and two RBIs in the win for the Lugnuts, who amassed 12 hits, six walks and six steals to offset five errors.
With the score tied 2-2 in the sixth, runners at the corners and two outs, Fort Wayne reliever Trent Shelton (Loss, 0-1) picked Pruitt off first base - but the second-year Lugnut dashed successfully to second while Aiello raced home to break the tie.
In the seventh, after a Kirk RBI double gave the Lugnuts a 4-2 lead, it was Nick Podkul swiping second successfully while Kirk came home from third. Jake Brodt followed with an RBI triple, his second triple of the game, to put the Nuts up 6-2.
Pruitt scored Lansing's final run without need of a base hit. He drew a walk in the eighth, stole second base, moved to third on a wild pitch, and came in on a Groshans grounder to short.
Lansing starter Joey Murray (Win, 1-0) struck out five batters in five innings, allowing only a pair of unearned runs in the second inning.
Will McAffer pitched the sixth and seventh innings scorelessly, Joey Pulido pitched around a walk in the eighth, and Connor Law gave up an unearned run before polishing off the ninth.
Five of the six runs allowed by the Lugnuts in their first two games have been unearned.
The series shifts now to Michigan's state capital on Saturday for the Lugnuts' 24th home opener, beginning with an Opening Day Block Party at 3 p.m., a Trapper Hat
giveaway to the first 1,000 fans presented by Auto-Owners Insurance, and LAFCU Fireworks following the Nuts' 6:05 p.m. game with the TinCaps. Right-hander Josh Hiatt makes his Lugnuts debut on the mound.
To purchase tickets and live the Lug Life at Cooley Law School Stadium, visit lansinglugnuts.com or call (517) 485-4500.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 5, 2019
- Snappers ride 15 hits to first win of 2019 - Beloit Snappers
- Lugnuts Speed to First Win of 2019, 7-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lugnuts Surge Late to Even Series - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cubs Sweep Whitecaps to Begin 2019 Campaign - South Bend Cubs
- Kernels Crush Chiefs, 10-4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattler Rally Falls Short at Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Whitecaps Shut out in South Bend - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Schuyler's Home Run Helps Dragons to First Win, 7-5 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Looking Forward to Home Opener - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 5 vs. Lansing (Game 2/140) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Roberson Deals and Encarnacion Thrills in 5-1 win - Clinton LumberKings
- LumberKings Pull Away from Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Unplayable Field Conditions Postpone Friday Game in Burlington - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Game Postponed - Burlington Bees
- 20-Game High School Baseball Program Opens Sunday at Fifth Third - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- McClanahan K's Nine in Hot Rods 3-2 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers Fall to Wisconsin on Opening Night - Beloit Snappers
- Clinton Falls In Season Opener - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.