LouCity Secures Slugger with 2-1 Win over Memphis 901
Louisville City FC secured home-field advantage for its first USL Championship Playoff game next Saturday with a 2-1 win over Memphis 901 FC Saturday night in Memphis.
"I'm happy for the team and pleased that we were able to grind out a win when we needed to - when we had to," Louisville City coach John Hackworth said. "We knew the results of Tampa and New York went our way, and that allowed us to move into 4th with the victory."
After going 8-1-3 in its last 12 matches, LouCity put itself in a position to make a big move on the final night of the regular season and it paid off. With Tampa Bay and New York both losing Saturday, Louisville City jumped both on the final night with three points in Memphis.
"I can't tell you the number of times I answered questions about why we were still in sixth despite how well we were playing," Hackworth said. "I just kept saying 'trust us, we will keep grinding and we will move up.' Lo and behold, we have. We are 9-1-3 in our last 13 games."
Louisville City won't have to play a play-in game like seeds 7-10 will on Wednesday. Then on Saturday, LouCity will host Tampa Bay Saturday at 7 p.m. at Slugger Field in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 20, 2019
- Legion FC to Play at North Carolina FC on Wednesday in USL Championship Playoffs - Birmingham Legion FC
- Legion FC Drops Last Match Before Playoffs to Pittsburgh in Final Minutes - Birmingham Legion FC
- Hounds Clinch No. 1 Seed, Defeat Birmingham, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Bracket Set for 2019 USL Championship Playoffs - USL
- Nashville SC Locks in No. 2 Seed in Eastern Conference - Nashville SC
- OCSC End 2019 Regular Season on a High Note - Orange County SC
- Big Win, Help Lifts United to Playoff Berth - New Mexico United
- Tacoma Defiance Concludes Season with 3-1 Home Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- El Paso Locomotive Begins Postseason Play in Fresno on Saturday, October 26 in the USL Championship Conference Quarterfinal - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season - Fresno FC
- Lights FC Closes out 2019 Season - Las Vegas Lights FC
- LouCity Secures Slugger with 2-1 Win over Memphis 901 - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- USL Announces 2021 Start Dates, Season Format
- USL Expects 'Productive Two Weeks' as Winter Summit Goes All-Digital
- LouCity, Midfielder Matsoso Agree to New Multiyear Deal
- LouCity Academy Appoints Junior Director to Lead New Age Groups
- Lefebvre Adds to LouCity's Goalkeeper Corps as Latest Signing