Nashville SC Locks in No. 2 Seed in Eastern Conference
NASHVILLE - Nashville Soccer Club will have to be content with the No. 2 seed in the final Eastern Conference standings.
A 90' minute goal in a 1-0 win for Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC on Sunday night over Birmingham Legion FC pushed Pittsburgh a point ahead of Nashville in the final USL Championship Eastern Conference standings.
"Congratulations to Pittsburgh," said Nashville SC head coach Gary Smith. "As far as we are concerned, it has been a terrific season. There have been a lot of things we have improved on. I am delighted with where the group is at and how we have moved toward the postseason. I am looking forward to watching the [Play-In] games on Wednesday and working out who we will be playing on Saturday."
The No. 2 seed means that Nashville SC will have home field advantage in the Eastern Conference playoffs until the Eastern Conference Final, when it would only go on the road if it faces Riverhounds SC. If Nashville reaches the USL Championship Final, it would host every Western Conference team other than first-place Phoenix Rising FC.
Nashville SC ended the season on a 12-2-2 run dating back to a win at Memphis 901 FC on July 17. The 38 points earned in the final 16 matches are second-most amongst any Eastern Conference team in over that span, only bested by Pittsburgh, who earned 39 over its final 16. The hottest team heading into the postseason, Nashville is the only Eastern team heading into the USL Championship Playoffs on a four-match winning streak.
Nashville will learn its Conference Quarterfinal opponent following Wednesday night's Play-In Round. As the No. 2 seed, Nashville will play the advancing team with the best seed, meaning the best of the four Play-In teams. Nashville cannot play No. 10 Birmingham. Possible opponents could be No. 7 North Carolina FC, No. 8 Ottawa Fury FC or No. 9 Charleston Battery. Nashville SC has beaten all three of those teams once during the 2019 season.
The Conference Quarterfinal will be played on Saturday night at First Tennessee Park at 7 p.m. Tickets to the match are available here for as low as $11.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 20, 2019
- Legion FC to Play at North Carolina FC on Wednesday in USL Championship Playoffs - Birmingham Legion FC
- Legion FC Drops Last Match Before Playoffs to Pittsburgh in Final Minutes - Birmingham Legion FC
- Hounds Clinch No. 1 Seed, Defeat Birmingham, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Bracket Set for 2019 USL Championship Playoffs - USL
- Nashville SC Locks in No. 2 Seed in Eastern Conference - Nashville SC
- OCSC End 2019 Regular Season on a High Note - Orange County SC
- Big Win, Help Lifts United to Playoff Berth - New Mexico United
- Tacoma Defiance Concludes Season with 3-1 Home Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- El Paso Locomotive Begins Postseason Play in Fresno on Saturday, October 26 in the USL Championship Conference Quarterfinal - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season - Fresno FC
- Lights FC Closes out 2019 Season - Las Vegas Lights FC
- LouCity Secures Slugger with 2-1 Win over Memphis 901 - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital