Big Win, Help Lifts United to Playoff Berth
(ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico) To call New Mexico United's regular season a roller coaster would be a gross understatement, but it certainly ended on a high note. With a bit of help from their friends to the north, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC, New Mexico was able to clinch the final playoff spot in their inaugural season with a 2:0 victory over Las Vegas Lights FC.
Using the stats as a guide, it was apparent that New Mexico United dominated the match and came into Isotopes Park poised to win. 58% possession, double the total shots, and not allowing Las Vegas one shot on goal constitute a recipe for a win. The 37th minute goal from Chris Wehan and the 87th minute insurance goal from Devon Sandoval were the products of a truly smothering performance from New Mexico.
A win wasn't enough though. To punch their playoff ticket, United needed help from either Colorado Springs or El Paso. The latter fell to LA Galaxy II 2:0, but the Switchbacks fought through an early 2 goal deficit and a man disadvantage to draw with San Antonio 2:2, and clear the way for United.
The second season starts Wednesday, and United will travel west to face Sacramento Republic FC in the play-in round. Kickoff time is still TBA.
NM: Wehan (37), Sandoval (87)
NM: Tetteh, 75' (Yellow); Hamilton, 77' (Yellow)
LV: Torre, 58' (Yellow), Torres, 81' (Yellow)
NM: Possession: 58.3% Shots: 15 Shots on Goal: 8 Saves: 0 Fouls: 10 Corner Kicks: 5 Offside: 3
LV: Possession: 41.7% Shots: 7 Shots on Goal: 0 Saves: 3 Fouls: 13 Corner Kicks: 3 Offside: 1
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 20, 2019
- Legion FC to Play at North Carolina FC on Wednesday in USL Championship Playoffs - Birmingham Legion FC
- Legion FC Drops Last Match Before Playoffs to Pittsburgh in Final Minutes - Birmingham Legion FC
- Hounds Clinch No. 1 Seed, Defeat Birmingham, 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Bracket Set for 2019 USL Championship Playoffs - USL
- Nashville SC Locks in No. 2 Seed in Eastern Conference - Nashville SC
- OCSC End 2019 Regular Season on a High Note - Orange County SC
- Big Win, Help Lifts United to Playoff Berth - New Mexico United
- Tacoma Defiance Concludes Season with 3-1 Home Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- El Paso Locomotive Begins Postseason Play in Fresno on Saturday, October 26 in the USL Championship Conference Quarterfinal - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season - Fresno FC
- Lights FC Closes out 2019 Season - Las Vegas Lights FC
- LouCity Secures Slugger with 2-1 Win over Memphis 901 - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- New Mexico United & the Somos Unidos Foundation Announce Fourth Academy Signing, Los Alamos Native Jamie Terrazas
- United Soccer League and New Mexico United Announce 2021 Season Format and Start Dates
- New Mexico United & the Somos Unidos Foundation Announce Third Academy Signing, Albuquerque Native Paolo Vela
- New Mexico United & the Somos Unidos Foundation Announce Second Academy Signing, Albuquerque Native Lamar Bynum
- United Soccer League Launches Impact Committee, Somos Unidos Foundation Executive Director Named Committee Lead