LouCity Excited to Challenge Old Rival
Louisville City's unexpected return to Nippert Stadium to face FC Cincinnati is made possible by the U.S. Open Cup. Heated rivals in the USL for several seasons, Louisville City and FC Cincinnati were split when FC Cincinnati made the jump to the MLS at the end of last season.
But thanks to Louisville City's pair of wins in the U.S. Open Cup - a 3-0 win over Reading United in Round 2 and a 1-0 win over Birmingham Legion in Round 3 - and the luck of the Open Cup draw, the pair of rivals will be reunited Wednesday night.
"It didn't take me long to figure out that Louisville City fans really don't like FC Cincinnati," Louisville City coach John Hackworth said with a laugh. "I only got to coach against them once last season, but everybody - our fans, our players and our Front Office - made sure I knew how important that rivalry was to us."
Louisville City and FC Cincinnati have an interesting history that includes road success for both squads, fan squabbles during and after matches and even a controversial aggressive act on the pitch by a former FC Cincinnati player.
While the rosters for this matchup are fairly different, mostly on the FC Cincinnati side, Hackworth said his team places high importance on this matchup. His players agreed. "This is the matchup we were hoping for," Louisville City defender Paco Craig said. "As a player, you love to play in intense games against good teams and we were hoping for this draw. We look forward to facing Cincinnati again."
Hackworth said Louisville City will work to focus on its own game plan, not alter its plan to try to counter FC Cincinnati.
"We are going to try to focus on doing what we do well," Hackworth said. "I have a lot of respect for the lineup Cincinnati can bring, but we also have confidence in what we do. We know we have quality players who have won against MLS sides before, both last season and in our preseason." Kickoff is set for 7:36 p.m. at Nippert Stadium. The game will be streamed on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 12, 2019
- New Mexico's Lesesne Voted Championship's Coach of the Month - New Mexico United
- Hartford Athletic Adds Danny Barrera - Hartford Athletic
- Powerful Orlando City SC Edges Memphis 901 FC Wednesday in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC to Face Halifax in Canadian Championship Qualifying Round 3 - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Exits Open Cup with Loss at New York City FC - North Carolina FC
- Training Report: Nashville SC's Strong Team Bond Helps Create Strong Road Form - Nashville SC
- Republic FC's Cameron Iwasa Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Independence Goalkeeper Brandon Miller Earns Team of the Week Honors - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville SC Jumps to Third in USL Power Rankings Following Win - Nashville SC
- Eric Wynalda Unveils New "It" Summer Refreshment Drink -- $5 "Waldo's" Featuring Jarritos & Tequila - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Sounders FC Signs Six Tacoma Defiance Players to Short-Term Agreements - Tacoma Defiance
- New Mexico's Lesesne Voted Championship's Coach of the Month - USL
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 15 - USL
- Austin Bold FC Receives Francis Atuahene and Ema Twumasi on Loan from Dallas - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Part Ways with Head Coach - Charlotte Independence
- Republic FC's run in the U.S. Open Cup comes to an end after a valiant effort in San Jose - Sacramento Republic FC
- LouCity Excited to Challenge Old Rival - Louisville City FC
- STLFC Wins 2-1 over Chicago Fire to Advance in U.S. Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- Loucity Youth Academy and Sportsrecruits Finalize Multi-Year Partnership
- New Team Store Located at Lynn Family Stadium Opening Thursday, May 21
- Louisville City FC and 95.7 QMF Team up for Tribute Music-To-Lights Show
- LouCity FC and 95.7 QMF Create Music-To-Lights Show
- Louisville City FC Returns to Training