New Mexico's Lesesne Voted Championship's Coach of the Month
June 12, 2019 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - New Mexico United's Troy Lesesne has been voted the USL Championship's Coach of the Month for May after leading the club to an undefeated month that saw it win three times in four outings to move to the top of the Western Conference standings.
In his first head coaching position, Lesense has helped make first-year club New Mexico United one of the remarkable stories in North American soccer in 2019. Playing to packed houses at Isotopes Park, NMU has boasted one of the best attacks in the league, and that was on show throughout May as it recorded 11 goals across its four outings to post a 3-0-1 record. United has also had success in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and will meet Major League Soccer's Colorado Rapids on Wednesday night in the tournament's Fourth Round.
"This is a great reflection of the hard work our players, staff, and front office have put into the first three months of the season," said Lesesne. "As an expansion club, we are happy with the positive start to the season, but also recognize we have a long way to go and much to improve on."
Lesesne received 45 percent of the vote to claim the award ahead of the Tampa Bay Rowdies' Neill Collins, who received 39 percent as his side also went undefeated while posting four consecutive shutouts over the month to push the Rowdies clear at the top of the Eastern Conference.
The USL Championship's Coach of the Month award is voted upon by the USL Championship National Media Panel and the USL Championship Technical Committee, with each group responsible for 50 percent of the overall vote.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 12, 2019
- Hartford Athletic Adds Danny Barrera - Hartford Athletic
- Powerful Orlando City SC Edges Memphis 901 FC Wednesday in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC to Face Halifax in Canadian Championship Qualifying Round 3 - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Exits Open Cup with Loss at New York City FC - North Carolina FC
- Training Report: Nashville SC's Strong Team Bond Helps Create Strong Road Form - Nashville SC
- Republic FC's Cameron Iwasa Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Independence Goalkeeper Brandon Miller Earns Team of the Week Honors - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville SC Jumps to Third in USL Power Rankings Following Win - Nashville SC
- Eric Wynalda Unveils New "It" Summer Refreshment Drink -- $5 "Waldo's" Featuring Jarritos & Tequila - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Sounders FC Signs Six Tacoma Defiance Players to Short-Term Agreements - Tacoma Defiance
- New Mexico's Lesesne Voted Championship's Coach of the Month - USL
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 15 - USL
- Austin Bold FC Receives Francis Atuahene and Ema Twumasi on Loan from Dallas - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence Part Ways with Head Coach - Charlotte Independence
- Republic FC's run in the U.S. Open Cup comes to an end after a valiant effort in San Jose - Sacramento Republic FC
- LouCity Excited to Challenge Old Rival - Louisville City FC
- STLFC Wins 2-1 over Chicago Fire to Advance in U.S. Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.