Loss snaps Quakes' unbeaten streak at five; Carlos Fierro makes MLS debut
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The San Jose Earthquakes fell to the Colorado Rapids 2-1 on Saturday night at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colo. The loss is just the Earthquakes' first in their last six matches (4-1-1) and second in their last 13 (8-2-3).
Quakes midfielder Carlos Fierro made his MLS debut, entering as a second-half substitute for Shea Salinas and playing 32 minutes.
After conceding just before halftime, San Jose equalized through a goal by Vako in the 62nd minute, his seventh in the last nine games. Colorado found the game-winner 11 minutes later.
The Earthquakes now turn their attention to Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, Aug. 17 at Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kansas (5:30 p.m. PT; NBCSCA/KNBR 1050/1370 KZSF).
San Jose now holds a 11-8-5 record this season and sits in fourth place in the Western Conference, level on points with third-place Minnesota and one point behind second-place Seattle.
The loss snaps the Quakes' unbeaten streak at five (4-0-1).
The Earthquakes are now 11-4-5 since the start of April.
San Jose is now 30-22-16 all-time against the Colorado Rapids, including a 13-14-8 record on the road.
Carlos Fierro made his MLS debut, entering as a substitute for Shea Salinas in the 58th minute. The Mexican midfielder joined the Quakes via permanent transfer from Cruz Azul in June.
Midfielder Vako scored his eighth goal of the season and 23rd of his MLS career. He has now scored seven goals in the last nine matches.
Forward Danny Hoesen was credited with the assist on Vako's goal. It marked his second assist of the season and 11th of his MLS career.
MLS Regular Season
Colorado Rapids 2 - 1 San Jose Earthquakes
Aug. 10, 2019 - Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colo.
Scoring Summary: COL - Kellyn Acosta (Diego Rubio) 44; SJ - Vako (Danny Hoesen) 62; COL - Diego Rubio (Keegan Rosenberry) 73.
Misconduct Summary: SJ - Judson (caution) 55; SJ - Jackson Yueill (caution) 77; COL - Diego Rubio (caution) 77; COL - Jack Price (caution) 90.
COLORADO RAPIDS: Clint Irwin; Keegan Rosenberry, Lalas Abubakar, Danny Wilson, Sam Vines; Sam Nicholson, Jack Price, Diego Rubio (Nicolas Mezquida 80), Kellyn Acosta, Andre Shinyashiki (Jonathan Lewis 66); Kei Kamara.
SHOTS: 14; SHOTS ON TARGET: 4; SAVES: 2; FOULS: 10; CORNERS: 5; OFFSIDES: 0
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES: Daniel Vega; Nick Lima, Florian Jungwirth, Guram Kashia, Tommy Thompson; Jackson Yueill, Judson (Danny Hoesen 58); Vako, Magnus Eriksson, Shea Salinas (Carlos Fierro 58); Chris Wondolowski (Luis Felipe 64).
SHOTS: 17; SHOTS ON TARGET: 3; SAVES: 2; FOULS: 13; CORNERS: 4; OFFSIDES: 2
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES HEAD COACH MATIAS ALMEYDA
On the match:
"My thoughts are balanced. It's hard to make a fair analysis right after a game. In the first half, we could have had two or three goals easily because of some of the plays we had, but I'm also realistic and I know you win in soccer by scoring and avoiding conceding goals. The second half was a little more back and forth. The game ended the way it did, with few clear opportunities for the other team, but that's respectable and everyone plays the way they want to play."
On failing to convert scoring chances:
"How many clear chances did we have in the first half? Three hit the post, three [more] plays right next to the goal. That's a lot in soccer. Finishing is fundamental."
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES FORWARD CHRIS WONDOLOWSKI
On the team missing chances offensively:
"I think that's the name of the game. Goals change games. If we were able to get one first, it would have helped us dictate the game. Kellyn Acosta had a great finish though and kind of put us on our back foot a little bit and then playing catch-up and we didn't quite get back to our way of playing."
On how Colorado is different at home:
"I think they're very talented. That game, we scored in the first minute and like 15th minute I believe, so it kind of dictates the rest of the game and how things can go. It's funny how goals can change that."
On Vako's performance:
"He's playing amazing. I think he's a very talented player. He's always had the skill, but I think you could also see he was also pitting in a great shift defensively; tracking runners and doing the little things. He's amazing for a reason."
On rebounding from this result:
"We're just going to go back and do what we normally do, get back to working hard. Our coach always preaches don't get too high and don't get too low."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 10, 2019
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Wins 3-2, Moves Within Three Points of Playoff Spot - Chicago Fire
- Postgame Recap - Colorado Rapids 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes - August 10, 2019 - Colorado Rapids
- Loss snaps Quakes' unbeaten streak at five; Carlos Fierro makes MLS debut - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas End Minnesota United FC's 11-Game Unbeaten Streak in 5-3 Win - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Scores Comeback Win over Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City Earn Road Point at Toronto - Orlando City SC
- Russell Strikes as Sporting Falls 2-1 to RSL - Sporting Kansas City
- Heavily Rotated MNUFC Falls 5-3 to Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- FCC claim road point in first MLS edition of #HellisReal Derby - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC (1) - Orlando City SC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sounders FC and New England Play to Back-And-Forth 3-3 Draw at CenturyLink Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution Battle for 3-3 Draw against Seattle Sounders FC - New England Revolution
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Road Trip in Philadelphia - Houston Dynamo
- Breaking Down the XI | Formation Change in Toronto - Orlando City SC
- Storylines | City vs. Toronto FC - Orlando City SC
- Ashlyn Harris: 100 Caps for the Captain - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Returns to Mapfre Stadium Tonight to Host FC Cincinnati - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Provide 74-Day Impact Report for Pledge 74
- Earthquakes Ready for Home Cooking after Brutal Loss
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Earthquakes Stadium
- Earthquakes Announce Remainder of Regular Season Schedule
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 21, 2020