Long Island Nets Come up Short against Fort Wayne
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Long Island Nets (4-6), the NBA G League affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets, fell to the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (4-6) 109-95 tonight at HP Field House.
Nets two-way forward Reggie Perry led the way for Long Island in the loss, recording a team-high 21 points on 7-of-15 shooting from the field and 2-of-3 shooting from distance to go with four rebounds, three assists, two steals and a block in 25 minutes of play. Perry notched his seventh game of 20 or more points in the effort.
Long Island guard Jeremiah Martin finished with 17 points, seven rebounds, six assists, a steal and a block in 34 minutes of action. Nets forward Tariq Owens added 10 points, three rebounds and a career-high five blocks in 23 minutes off the bench, recording his fifth-straight game of 10 or more points in the effort.
Fort Wayne forward Oshae Brissett finished with a game-high 24 points on 9-of-17 shooting from the field, adding six rebounds, four assists, three steals and a block in 37 minutes of play. Mad Ants forward Devin Robinson added 17 points (8-of-10 FG) to go with a game-high 15 rebounds and two blocks in 25 minutes off the bench, recording a double-double in the win.
Fort Wayne came out shooting, hitting three long-range jumpers over the opening 3:42 of the game for an early 15-5 advantage. The Mad Ants stayed hot, using an 8-0 run shortly after to extend their lead to 16 points with 4:43 on the clock and went on to outscore the Nets 35-22 in the first quarter.
Long Island responded in the second, opening the quarter with a 13-2 spurt - with Perry scoring all 13 points - cutting Fort Wayne's lead to 37-35 at the 8:21 mark. The Mad Ants held a slim edge for the next seven minutes, but Nets forward Nate Sestina hit a 3-pointer with 1:10 remaining in the half to put Long Island ahead 55-54. The Nets went on to lead 57-54 at halftime.
The Nets stayed in front for most of the third quarter until Robinson made a tip-in layup with 2:57 on the clock to give Fort Wayne a one-point lead, 74-73. The Mad Ants kept their advantage, outscoring the Nets 24-18 in the third for a 78-75 lead entering the final quarter of play.
Long Island kept it close for the first half of the fourth, but the Mad Ants extended their lead to eight points, 98-90, after a layup from Fort Wayne guard Naz Mitrou-Long with just under five minutes to go in the contest. The Mad Ants then held Long Island to just five points over the final 5:18 on the game to close out a 109-95 victory.
The Nets will play the Santa Cruz Warriors in their next game on Saturday, Feb. 27, at 3:30 p.m. ET at HP Field House, while the Mad Ants will face the Agua Caliente Clippers next on Friday, Feb. 26, at 11 a.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 25, 2021
- Wolves Edged by Spurs in Overtime - Iowa Wolves
- Scott's Big Night Not Enough for Salt Lake City Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Hustle Overcome 25-Point Deficit Before Fading in Final Minutes - Memphis Hustle
- Warriors Hold off Hustle and Extend Win Streak to Six, 116-111 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Fort Wayne Tops Long Island, 109-95 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Long Island Nets Come up Short against Fort Wayne - Long Island Nets
- Porter Jr. Records First Triple-Double of G League Season in Vipers Big Win over BayHawks - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Iowa Wolves Acquire Raphiael Putney - Iowa Wolves
- Charge Acquire Pick in Trade - Canton Charge
- Lamb Joins RGV from Canton Charge - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Blue Coats Fall to Raptors 905 - Delaware Blue Coats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.