Lexington Legends Split First Doubleheader of Series with Asheville Tourists
MCCORMICK FIELD (Asheville, NC) - The Lexington Legends travelled to Asheville to face the Tourists in the first of two doubleheaders. The Legends took game one 4-3 but fell in game two, 2-1. The Legends' record now sits at 32-27 and Asheville is now 22-37.
The Legends got to scoring in the top of the fourth inning. Brewer Hicklen singled to left field then advanced to second on a base hit by Dennicher Carrasco. Seuly Matias then drew a walk to load the bases. Cristian Perez lined a two-run single to right field, putting Lexington on the board 2-0. Marten Gasparini brought home Matias on an RBI single, extending their lead 3-0.
In the top of the sixth, Matias blasted his 19th home run of the season, putting Lexington up 4-0. Matias leads Minor League Baseball with his 19 home runs.
The Tourists plated their first runs of the game in the bottom of the sixth. Robbie Perkins reached on a fielding error, then was thrown out at second on a force out while Ryan Vilade was safe at first. Vilade then advanced to third on a single by Sean Bouchard. Chad Spanberger smacked a double to right field, bringing in two runs and Asheville was on the board, 4-3.
Asheville scored their final run of the game in the bottom of the seventh. Ramon Marcelino led off the inning with a triple to right field then scored on a groundout by Shael Mendoza, and the Legends held on to the 4-3 victory.
Andres Sotillet earned the win for Lexington, tossing 6.0 innings allowing two runs (unearned) on five hits while walking one and striking out five. Tyler Zuber was awarded the save, pitching the seventh inning allowing one run on two hits.
In game two, strong pitching held both teams scoreless until the fifth. The Tourists drew first blood with back-to-back home runs by Marcelino and Snyder, putting Asheville ahead 2-0.
The Legends scored their only run of the game in the top of the seventh. Perez doubled to center field then advanced to third on a single by Nick Pratto. Carrasco popped up a sacrifice fly to center field, scoring Perez, making it a 2-1 ballgame.
Erick Julio was awarded the win for Asheville, throwing 5.0 shutout innings allowing just one hit while striking out five. Yefri Del Rosario was given the loss in his Legends debut, pitching 5.0 innings allowing two runs on five hits while walking one and striking out six.
The Legends and Tourists will meet again for another doubleheader, beginning tomorrow June 9 at 4:35 p.m. RHP Nolan Watson (3-5, 6.37 ERA) and RHP Collin Snider (3-4, 6.81 ERA) will be on the mound for Lexington while Asheville will send LHP Lucas Gilbreath (3-3, 6.89 ERA) and RHP Justin Valdespina (1-2, 6.10 ERA).
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Seuly Matias of the Lexington Legends
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2018
- Drive Come Back to Stun RiverDogs in Extras - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Bounce Back for Split with Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Back-to-Back-to-Back, RiverDogs Fall to Drive Despite Launching Three Straight Homers - Charleston RiverDogs
- Corredor's Five Hits Lead Suns in DH Split - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Dads Drop Doubleheader against West Virginia - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Blanks Crawdads in Doubleheader Sweep - West Virginia Power
- Devers Triples Twice as Hoppers Roll - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Kannapolis Tops Rome 8-3 - Rome Braves
- Sanchez Unstoppable, Columbia Snaps Streak - Columbia Fireflies
- Bats Stay Cold in Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- BlueClaws Drop Series Opener, 7-2 at Greensboro on Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Recap: Julio Shines in Game Two Win - Asheville Tourists
- Lexington Legends Split First Doubleheader of Series with Asheville Tourists - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 8 vs. Augusta (Game 58) - Columbia Fireflies
- Youth Movement, Miguel Yajure Joins RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (June 8) - West Virginia Power
- It's a Kentucky Filled Homestand with Coach Mark Stoops Bobblehead Giveaway and Legen-Dairy Night - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Again Join Yankees HOPE Week Initiative - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- National Anthem and God Bless America Auditions Scheduled for February
- Former Legends Player Named 2019 Manager
- Kentucky Coal Association Signs on as $.25 Hot Dog Sponsor
- Three Legends Players Named Royals Pitcher and Players of the Year
- Legends Join MiLB's "Copa De La Diversion" for 2019