BlueClaws Drop Series Opener, 7-2 at Greensboro on Friday
GREENSBORO, NC - Jose Devers had three hits including two RBI triples to lead Greensboro to a 7-2 win over the BlueClaws on Friday night at First National Bank Field.
The loss is Lakewood's (34-26) third in their last four games while Greensboro (29-29) has won five of their last seven games to get back to .500. They've taken six of the first 11 meetings with the BlueClaws this year.
Greensboro got a first inning run on an RBI triple from Devers, who added another in the third to put the Grasshoppers up 2-0. Greensboro would add two more in the third, one on a groundball from Jhonny Santos and another on a double from Lazaro Alonso for a 4-0 lead.
An error on shortstop Nick Maton allowed Santos to score another run in the fifth as Howard came out with the BlueClaws down 5-0.
Howard, who fell to 3-5 with the loss, allowed five runs, four earned, in 4.2 innings, though he struck out eight, just one off his season high.
Down 5-0, the BlueClaws got a run in the seventh off starter Taylor Braley on an RBI double from Kevin Markham, their lone run off the Hoppers starter. Braley (3-5) allowed one run on five hits over seven innings of work.
Lakewood added a run in the eighth off Dustin Beggs on an RBI single from Jhailyn Ortiz to cut the lead to 5-2. They had the tying run at the plate in the eighth, but Daniel Brito popped out to third and Rodolfo Duran struck out to end the threat.
Jhonny Santos, who drove in three, had a two-run single in the eighth for the final margin.
Devers became just the fourth BlueClaws opponent in 18 years of BlueClaws baseball to have two triples in a game against Lakewood.
Jhailyn Ortiz, Nick Maton, and Jesus Alastre had two hits apiece for the BlueClaws in the loss. Julian Garcia threw 1.1 innings of scoreless relief while Zach Warren threw one.
The teams continue their series on Saturday night at 7:00. LHP Damon Jones (4-2) starts for the BlueClaws opposite RHP Brandon Miller (2-4).
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Julian Garcia
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2018
- Drive Come Back to Stun RiverDogs in Extras - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Bounce Back for Split with Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Back-to-Back-to-Back, RiverDogs Fall to Drive Despite Launching Three Straight Homers - Charleston RiverDogs
- Corredor's Five Hits Lead Suns in DH Split - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Dads Drop Doubleheader against West Virginia - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Blanks Crawdads in Doubleheader Sweep - West Virginia Power
- Devers Triples Twice as Hoppers Roll - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Kannapolis Tops Rome 8-3 - Rome Braves
- Sanchez Unstoppable, Columbia Snaps Streak - Columbia Fireflies
- Bats Stay Cold in Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- BlueClaws Drop Series Opener, 7-2 at Greensboro on Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Recap: Julio Shines in Game Two Win - Asheville Tourists
- Lexington Legends Split First Doubleheader of Series with Asheville Tourists - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 8 vs. Augusta (Game 58) - Columbia Fireflies
- Youth Movement, Miguel Yajure Joins RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (June 8) - West Virginia Power
- It's a Kentucky Filled Homestand with Coach Mark Stoops Bobblehead Giveaway and Legen-Dairy Night - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Again Join Yankees HOPE Week Initiative - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Jones Leads Claws to 16th Shutout and 2-0 Saturday Win
- Fireflies Top BlueClaws 9-1 on Friday Night in Columbia
- Playoff Bound: BlueClaws Win First-Half Pennant
- Parkinson Dominant; Claws Blank 'Dads 4-0 on Sunday
- Jones Sharp, Ortiz Homers, Claws Keep Playoffs Hopes Alive with 4-2 Win