Late Long Island Rally Drops Somerset
Central Islip, New York - The Long Island Ducks (21-16, 64-43) scored four runs in the eighth inning to drop the Somerset Patriots (14-24, 56-52) 6-4 on Tuesday night at Bethpage Ballpark.
The Patriots got the scoring started in the first inning with an RBI single from Michael Ohlman, but it wouldn't last long.
Long Island responded with a run in the bottom half of the inning. D'Arby Myers began the inning with a triple and the next batter, Daniel Fields, hit him in with an RBI groundout to knot the game at 1-1.
The Ducks jumped ahead 2-1 in the fourth inning powered by an LJ Mazzilli (10) solo home run to left field.
In the sixth, Rey Navarro punched a two-out, two-run single to left to set Somerset ahead 3-2.
Then in the seventh, Ohlman added an RBI single up the middle to extend the lead 4-2.
The Ducks rallied in the eighth inning though scoring four runs on three hits. Lew Ford and Hector Sanchez each collected an RBI in the inning while Mazzilli batted in two to round out the scoring and make it a 6-4 Long Island lead.
Ismael Cabrera (1-0) earned the victory after he worked 2 innings of relief and allowing just one run to score on two hits.
Luis Cruz (2-4) is handed the loss after failing to get an out in the eighth and allowing three runs to score.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots season presented by Ford continues with two more games on the road against the Ducks before the team returns home on Friday, August 23 to host the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Michael Ohlman of the Somerset Patriots
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Four-Run Rally Lifts Flock to Fourth Straight Win - Long Island Ducks
- Late Long Island Rally Drops Somerset - Somerset Patriots
- Tuesday's Revolution-Blue Crabs Game Postponed - York Revolution
- Simon Jewelers & High Point Rockers to Host "Digging for Diamonds' Contest - High Point Rockers
- Bees Swat Skeeters For Third Consecutive Win - New Britain Bees
- Big Bats Fall Short in 14-9 Loss - Somerset Patriots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots Help Atlantic League Earn Designation as Partner League of Major League Baseball
- Patriots Win Seventh in a Row to Close out Series
- Scott Kelly Leads Patriots to 8-4 Win over Blasters
- Patriots Clinch Series with Win over Blasters
- Patriots Win Fourth in a Row over Blasters