Big Bats Fall Short in 14-9 Loss
Central Islip, New York - The Long Island Ducks (20-16, 63-43) powered past the Somerset Patriots (14-23, 56-51) 14-9 in an offensive shootout on Monday night at Bethpage Ballpark.
After an hour and four minute rain delay, the Patriots struck first in the second inning. Michael Crouse reached on an infield single to lead off the inning then stole second and third base. Later in the inning, Craig Massey drove him in with a single.
But the Ducks had a quick response with a Deibinson Romero RBI double in the bottom of the second, and a Romero sacrifice fly RBI to give the Ducks a 2-1 advantage in the third inning.
Jimmy Paredes led off the fourth inning with a walk and the very next batter, Crouse (8), crushed a home run over the left field wall. Then, Massey singled, stole second and third, and later scored on a wild pitch to set Somerset ahead 4-2.
But the Ducks responded in a big fashion, scoring eight runs on seven hits. Twelve Ducks stepped to the plate in the fourth and Long Island held a 10-4 lead after four innings.
Massey drove in another run in the fifth with a sacrifice fly, but Long Island answered when LJ Mazzilli scored Lew Ford on a single.
Somerset added three runs in the sixth thanks to a Justin Pacchioli RBI single and a two-RBI single from Edwin Espinal. Then in the seventh, the Patriots added another run from another Pacchioli run-scoring hit to bring Somerset within two runs.
Mazzilli again secured the lead with an RBI single in the seventh and the Ducks added two more in the eighth inning.
Vin Mazzaro (6-4) earns the win after finishing five innings and allowing 11 hits and five runs to score.
David Holmberg (1-4) is tabbed with the loss after giving up eight runs on ten hits in 3.1 innings.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots season presented by Ford continues with three more games on the road against the Ducks before the team returns home on Friday, August 23 to host the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Michael Crouse of the Somerset Patriots makes contact
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Four-Run Rally Lifts Flock to Fourth Straight Win - Long Island Ducks
- Late Long Island Rally Drops Somerset - Somerset Patriots
- Tuesday's Revolution-Blue Crabs Game Postponed - York Revolution
- Simon Jewelers & High Point Rockers to Host "Digging for Diamonds' Contest - High Point Rockers
- Bees Swat Skeeters For Third Consecutive Win - New Britain Bees
- Big Bats Fall Short in 14-9 Loss - Somerset Patriots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots Help Atlantic League Earn Designation as Partner League of Major League Baseball
- Patriots Win Seventh in a Row to Close out Series
- Scott Kelly Leads Patriots to 8-4 Win over Blasters
- Patriots Clinch Series with Win over Blasters
- Patriots Win Fourth in a Row over Blasters