Late Homer from Walton Is the Difference for Arkansas
North Little Rock, AR-Donnie Walton lined a tiebreaking three-run home run in the bottom of the seventh inning to propel the Arkansas Travelers to a 5-2 win over the Midland RockHounds on Wednesday night. With both teams dressed in their Copa de la Diversion uniforms, the Travs as the Diamantes de Arkansas and the 'Hounds as the Matamoscas de Midessa, Walton went 2-3 with a double and the game-winning homer. Logan Gilbert made his Double-A debut on the mound for Arkansas just about 13 months after being drafted by Seattle. He was perfect through four innings and took a no-hit bid into the sixth before settling for no decision on a 5.1 inning effort. Matt Tenuta and Wyatt Mills then retired 11 out of 12 batters to close out the game.
Moments That Mattered
* Walton and Evan White opened the game with consecutive doubles to put the Travs on top just two pitches into the bottom of the first.
* Gilbert hit two batters and issued a walk to open the fifth inning but emerged unscathed thanks to a pop out, a strikeout and fly out.
* Logan Taylor singled and Jordan Cowan doubled to open the bottom of the seventh. With one out and the infield in, Walton homered on the ninth pitch of his at-bat.
Notable Travs Performances
* SS Donnie Walton: 2-3, HBP, 2 runs, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
* 2B Jordan Cowan: 3-3, run, 2 2B
* RHP Logan Gilbert: 5.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 HB, 8 K
* LHP Matt Tenuta: Win, 2.1 IP, H, 3 K
* RHP Wyatt Mills: Save, 1.1 IP, K
News and Notes
* Cal Raleigh got the start behind the plate, becoming just the third catcher of the season for the Travs (Joe DeCarlo, Joseph Odom). He went 2-4 at the plate and drove in his first Double-A run.
* Midland was held to three hits for the second straight night. All three of their hits in this game were doubles.
The decisive game of the series is Thursday night with right-hander Justin Dunn (5-3, 3.76) on the mound against righty Grant Holmes (4-2, 3.43). First pitch is at 7:10 and it is Christmas in July theme night. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Sod Poodles Rally Back from Six-Run Deficit, Fall Late to Cardinals in 10-9 Hit Parade - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- 'Hounds Hang on against Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- RoughRiders Drop Drillers to Spoil Gray's Debut - Tulsa Drillers
- Phillips Powers Riders to Series Win in Tulsa - Frisco RoughRiders
- Beer Bomb Leads Hooks to Series Win vs. NW Arkansas - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Late Homer Dooms Naturals, 5-3 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Three-Run Seventh Lifts Travs over Hounds - Midland RockHounds
- Carlson and Ascanio Power Cards Past Poodles, 5-2 - Springfield Cardinals
- Drillers Hold off Frisco for 7-6 Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Taveras Homers in Narrow Loss to Drillers - Frisco RoughRiders
- Late Homer from Walton Is the Difference for Arkansas - Arkansas Travelers
- Sloppy Naturals Defense Hands Hooks 4-0 Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.