'Hounds Hang on against Travs
North Little Rock, AR - Another dazzling duel between starting pitchers resulted in a close loss for the Arkansas Travelers as the Midland RockHounds prevailed 2-1 on Thursday night. The game was scoreless for seven innings as Travs starter Justin Dunn matched his longest outing of the season with seven shutout innings. Dunn surrendered just four hits and two walks while striking out six. Midland starter Grant Holmes authored his longest outing of the season as he pitched five shutout innings on two hits with five strikeouts.
Moments That Mattered
* Midland broke the ice in the eighth. A leadoff walk and a sacrifice bunt put a runner in scoring position and Taylor Motter delivered a two out hit to score the run.
* Arkansas battled in the ninth, getting on the board on an RBI single by Joseph Odom that put the tying run in scoring position and the winning run at first. The next two Trav hitters were retired to end the game.
Notable Travs Performances
* CF Dom Thompson-Williams: 2-4, run
* RF Nick Zammarelli: 1-2, 2 BB
* RHP Justin Dunn: 7 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 6 K
News and Notes
* It was the ninth time in the past 10 games for the final margin to be three runs or less.
* Midland scored two runs in every game of the series yet won two of the three games.
The homestand continues as the Travs welcome in the Frisco RoughRiders on Friday night. Left-hander Ricardo Sanchez (6-5, 3.58) makes the start against lefty Brock Burke (0-5, 4.40). First pitch is at 7:10 and there are fireworks afterwards. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Sod Poodles Rally Back from Six-Run Deficit, Fall Late to Cardinals in 10-9 Hit Parade - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- 'Hounds Hang on against Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- RoughRiders Drop Drillers to Spoil Gray's Debut - Tulsa Drillers
- Phillips Powers Riders to Series Win in Tulsa - Frisco RoughRiders
- Beer Bomb Leads Hooks to Series Win vs. NW Arkansas - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Late Homer Dooms Naturals, 5-3 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Three-Run Seventh Lifts Travs over Hounds - Midland RockHounds
- Carlson and Ascanio Power Cards Past Poodles, 5-2 - Springfield Cardinals
- Drillers Hold off Frisco for 7-6 Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Taveras Homers in Narrow Loss to Drillers - Frisco RoughRiders
- Late Homer from Walton Is the Difference for Arkansas - Arkansas Travelers
- Sloppy Naturals Defense Hands Hooks 4-0 Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.