Late Homer Dooms Naturals, 5-3
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Seth Beer's three-run home run in the seventh proved to be the difference in the Naturals' 5-3 rubber-match loss to the Corpus Christi Hooks at Whataburger Field on Thursday night. The Naturals' dropped the series two games to one.
Starter, Gerson Garabito logged his fifth quality start of the season and third consecutive. He tossed six innings of one-run baseball, scattered six hits and struck out a season-high seven hitters.
Northwest Arkansas (42-52/11-15) racked-up 10 hits in the ballgame with Nick Heath, Anderson Miller and Kort Peterson each collecting two each. Heath has recorded multi-hit games in seven of the last nine games with multi-hit games in six of the seven. Kevin Merrell tripled for his first hit since joining the organization on Tuesday, July 16.
The Hooks took the lead in the seventh inning; but the Naturals' rallied back with an RBI single by Gabriel Cancel - his 57th of the season - cutting the deficit to 4-2. Corpus Christi came back with a solo homer in the eighth inning before the Naturals scored again in the ninth inning for a 5-3 final.
The Naturals continue the seven-game road trip with a four-game series in Amarillo, Texas against the Amarillo Sod Poodles with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch on Friday night from "Hodgetown." Left-hander, J.C. Cloney (2-3, 3.66 ERA) will take the ball against left-hander, Mackenzie Gore (1-0, 0.00 ERA) for the Amarillo club.
Join the "Voice of the Naturals," Benjamin Kelly on 92.1-FM, the Ticket and the Naturals Radio Network for a 6:45 Indigo Sky Casino Pregame Show leading up to the 7:05 p.m. first pitch.
The Northwest Arkansas Naturals are the Double-A Texas League Affiliate of the Kansas City Royals. The Naturals play at state-of-the-art Arvest Ballpark in Springdale, Ark. For more information, including statistics, ticket options, and more, please visit NWANaturals.com, and follow us on Twitter @NWANaturals and Facebook.com/Naturals.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 18, 2019
- Sod Poodles Rally Back from Six-Run Deficit, Fall Late to Cardinals in 10-9 Hit Parade - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- 'Hounds Hang on against Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- RoughRiders Drop Drillers to Spoil Gray's Debut - Tulsa Drillers
- Phillips Powers Riders to Series Win in Tulsa - Frisco RoughRiders
- Beer Bomb Leads Hooks to Series Win vs. NW Arkansas - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Late Homer Dooms Naturals, 5-3 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Three-Run Seventh Lifts Travs over Hounds - Midland RockHounds
- Carlson and Ascanio Power Cards Past Poodles, 5-2 - Springfield Cardinals
- Drillers Hold off Frisco for 7-6 Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Taveras Homers in Narrow Loss to Drillers - Frisco RoughRiders
- Late Homer from Walton Is the Difference for Arkansas - Arkansas Travelers
- Sloppy Naturals Defense Hands Hooks 4-0 Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
Other Recent Northwest Arkansas Naturals Stories
- Take Batting Practice at Arvest Ballpark on Friday, August 21st and Saturday, August 29th
- Play Catch at Arvest Ballpark on Saturday, August 15th
- Northwest Arkansas Naturals Will Not Play in 2020 as Minor League Baseball Seasons Are Canceled
- Northwest Arkansas Naturals Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Naturals to Celebrate 'Naturals at Home Opener' on Social Media on Thursday, April 16th