LAFC Acquires U.S. International Forward Corey Baird from Real Salt Lake
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today it has acquired forward Corey Baird from Real Salt Lake in exchange for $500,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) spread across 2021 and 2022, a 2021 international roster slot and future considerations.
"Corey is a dynamic attacker and we are excited to welcome a player of his caliber and qualities," said LAFC Co-President & General Manager John Thorrington. "We are confident he will prove to be a great fit into how we play and will help us achieve our ambitions as a Club in the years to come."
The 2018 MLS Rookie of the Year joins LAFC after appearing in 83 regular season contests for Real Salt Lake between 2018-20. This past season, Baird played in 21 of RSL's 22 matches, tallying two goals and four assists in 1,529 minutes. His goals came in back-to-back games against Colorado Rapids (8/22) and Portland Timbers (8/29).
In 2019, Baird surpassed the 2,000-minute mark for the first time in his career, amassing five goals and four assists in 31 MLS games. In 2018, he led all MLS rookies with eight goals in 31 appearances. He would add five assists on his way to being voted the 2018 AT&T MLS Rookie of the Year.
A native of Escondido, Calif., Baird represented the United States at the U-15, U-17, U-18 and U-20 levels before earning his first-ever senior call-up during the annual January camp in 2019. He notched his first and only assist with the USMNT during his international debut in a 3-0 victory over Panama on January 28, 2019.
Prior to joining Real Salt Lake as a Homegrown player on January 5, 2018, Baird registered 16 goals and 28 assists across four seasons at Stanford University, winning three consecutive NCAA National Championships (2015-17).
TRANSACTION: Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) acquires forward Corey Baird from Real Salt Lake in exchange for $500,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) spread across 2021 and 2022, a 2021 international roster slot and future considerations.
Full Name: Corey Baird
Weight: 160 lbs.
Birthplace: Escondido, CA
Last Club: Real Salt Lake
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 11, 2021
- LAFC Signs Korean International Kim Moon-Hwan - Los Angeles FC
- New York Red Bulls Defender Kyle Duncan Named to U-23 USMNT January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 11, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Academy Product and Midfielder Isaiah Parente - Columbus Crew SC
- LAFC Acquires U.S. International Forward Corey Baird from Real Salt Lake - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades Corey Baird to LAFC - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Accepting Applications for Homegrown Partner Program - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 17-Year-Old Colombian Forward Jhon Jader Duran - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United announces Gabriel Heinze's technical staff - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Announces 2021 Preseason Training Camp Ahead of Club's Fourth MLS Campaign
- LAFC and Real So Cal Soccer Club to Form LAFC So Cal Youth
- LAFC Gaming Announces Partnership with McDonald's of SoCal
- LAFC Loans Forward Brian Rodriguez to UD Almeria
- LAFC Signs Goalkeeper Tomas Romero