Real Salt Lake Trades Corey Baird to LAFC
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Salt Lake announced on Monday that the club has traded forward Corey Baird to LAFC in exchange for $500,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) spread across 2021 and 2022, an international roster slot in 2021 and future considerations.
"Corey has been an exceptional player for us over the last three years. He has contributed massively to our success on the field and in the organization. As a product of our robust Academy and development system, we are really proud of what he's become," RSL General Manager Elliot Fall said. "We weren't looking to move him, but LAFC was extremely interested in acquiring him and were willing to make an offer that we felt as a club will provide us opportunities for the next players as well as strengthening our position to build our roster for 2021 and beyond."
Baird, 24, signed with RSL as a Homegrown Player in 2018 after four seasons at Stanford University. The RSL Academy product won AT&T MLS Rookie of the Year honors in his first season after scoring eight goals with five assists in 31 appearances. He followed that up with five goals and four assists in 31 appearances in 2019. In his three seasons at RSL, he totaled 15 goals and 13 assists in 83 appearances, adding one assist in four matches in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
"I was fortunate to work with Corey as a young man and watch him grow into a man," said RSL Head Coach Freddy Juarez, who began coaching Baird at the Academy level. "It was a pleasure to be part of that and his development as a player and I wish him the best in this new challenge."
A three-time NCAA National Champion at Stanford, Baird had one assist in four caps with the U.S. National Team.
Transaction: Real Salt Lake acquires $500,000 in General Allocation Money in 2021 and 2022, an international roster slot in 2021 and future considerations from LAFC in exchange for forward Corey Baird.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 11, 2021
- LAFC Signs Korean International Kim Moon-Hwan - Los Angeles FC
- New York Red Bulls Defender Kyle Duncan Named to U-23 USMNT January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 11, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Academy Product and Midfielder Isaiah Parente - Columbus Crew SC
- LAFC Acquires U.S. International Forward Corey Baird from Real Salt Lake - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Trades Corey Baird to LAFC - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Accepting Applications for Homegrown Partner Program - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 17-Year-Old Colombian Forward Jhon Jader Duran - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United announces Gabriel Heinze's technical staff - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- RSL Trio Called to U-23 USMNT Training Camp
- Real Salt Lake Mutually Agrees to Part Ways with Assistant Coach Tyrone Marshall
- Five RSL Organization Members Selected to CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Rosters
- Real Salt Lake Forward Douglas Martinez Called up for Honduras U-23 National Team
- Longtime Real Salt Lake Midfielder Luke Mulholland Announces Retirement