Kyle Smith Nets Late Game-Winner as Lions Down Toronto
TORONTO - Orlando City SC (6-4-2, 20 points) earned a 1-0 victory on Saturday afternoon over Toronto FC (3-7-2, 11 points) on a second-half stoppage-time winner courtesy of defender Kyle Smith at BMO Field. With the victory, City currently sits atop the Eastern Conference standings.
Smith scored his first goal of the year and the second of his Club career in the 92nd minute to secure all three points for the Lions. The goal came off of a corner kick from the left side as the ball was whipped in from Alexandre Pato. Smith was positioned at the near post and able to get his head and send it into the far side of the net.
Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese picked up his sixth clean sheet of the MLS regular season with the 1-0 win. With the shutout, Gallese currently stands alone atop the Eastern Conference in clean sheets.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
"Congratulations to the players today in such an important match in a difficult place. With that personality and the collectiveness that we are pursuing in this project, we saw it today. Everybody participated in doing the job. I like the way they controlled the game the whole time against a young, good team. I think we imposed our freedoms and what we look for. We came here to win and the victory is ours and we are very pleased and happy."
90+2' Kyle Smith (Alexandre Pato) - ORL 1, TOR 0
The Lions found the back of the net late off a corner from Alexandre Pato delivered in from the left side, finding the head of Kyle Smith in the box for the game-winner.
Kyle Smith scored his first goal of the year for the Lions and his second for the Club.
Alexandre Pato notched his third assist of the season on Smith's finish.
Pedro Gallese notched his sixth clean sheet of the campaign.
The Lions continued their impressive road form in 2022, now holding a record of 3-1-2 through six fixtures away from home.
Robin Jansson recorded his 100th start as a Lion in the match in what served as his 102nd appearance in all competitions.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja made four changes to his starting lineup from Tuesday's Open Cup match with Pedro Gallese, João Moutinho, Ruan and Mauricio Pereyra reentering the fold.
Next Match: The Lions close out a three-game road stint in league play, traveling for their inaugural matchup with Austin FC on Sunday, May 22 at Q2 Stadium. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET.
Teams 1 2 F
Toronto FC 0 0 0
Orlando City SC 0 1 1
ORL - Kyle Smith (Alexandre Pato) 90+2'
TOR - Michael Bradley (Yellow Card) 42'
ORL - João Moutinho (Yellow Card) 71'
ORL - Rodrigo Schlegel (Yellow Card) 72'
ORL - Robin Jansson (Yellow Card) 88'
Orlando City SC - GK Pedro Gallese; D João Moutinho, Robin Jansson, Rodrigo Schlegel, Ruan; M Mauricio Pereyra © (Sebastián Méndez 87'), César Araújo, Andrés Perea (Jake Mulraney 65'), Júnior Urso; F Facundo Torres (Kyle Smith 76'), Ercan Kara (Alexandre Pato 76')
Substitutes Not Used: GK Mason Stajduhar; D Mikey Halliday, Thomas Williams; M Joey DeZart; F Jack Lynn
Toronto FC - GK Alex Bono; D Luca Petrasso, Carlos Salcedo, Lukas MacNaughton, Kosi Thompson; M Deandre Kerr, Michael Bradley ©, Ralph Priso-Mbongue (Ayo Akinola 46'); F Jayden Nelson, Jesús Jiménez, Jordan Perruzza (Paul Rothrock 58')
Substitutes Not Used: GK Quentin Westberg; D Shane O'Neill, Adam Pearlman; M Themi Antonoglou
Details of the Game:
Time: 3 p.m. ET
Date: May 14, 2022
TOR - 47.7%
ORL - 52.3%
TOR - 8
ORL - 17
TOR - 5
ORL - 2
TOR - 11
ORL - 14
TOR - 3
ORL - 9
Heineken Man of the Match: Pedro Gallese
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 14, 2022
- Red Bulls Battle Back to Draw at Philadelphia - New York Red Bulls
- Gazdag Scores Sixth Goal of the Season; Union Remain Undefeated at Home - Philadelphia Union
- Miguel Ramírez: "When You Have Clear Chances against These Teams...They Will Punish You" - Charlotte FC
- Charlotte FC Blanked by CF Montréal - Club de Foot Montreal
- Jeremy Ebobisse Scores Twice; Quakes Now 4-1-1 in All Competitions Under Interim Head Coach Alex Covelo - San Jose Earthquakes
- Ronny Reaction: "We Have Been Consistent." - New York City FC
- Lucas Cavallini Drives 'Caps in Comeback - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- NYCFC Blanks Columbus Crew - New York City FC
- Full Time: Home Win Streak Comes to an End After Tough Battle Against Montreal - Charlotte FC
- Zardes Opens Account, Rapids Dominate MLS Leaders LAFC 2-0 - Colorado Rapids
- Health Report Pres. by Vanderbilt Health: Nashville SC vs Houston Dynamo - Nashville SC
- LAFC Suffers 2-0 Loss in Colorado - Los Angeles FC
- Toronto FC (0) - Orlando City SC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Kyle Smith Nets Late Game-Winner as Lions Down Toronto - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Returns to MLS Action Sunday against Minnesota United FC at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Loan Themi Antonoglou to Toronto FC II - Toronto FC
- Earthquakes Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Minnesota United FC at Seattle Sounders Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Toronto FC Sign Rothrock and Pearlman to Short-Term Agreements - Toronto FC
- Revolution Visit Atlanta United Sunday on ESPN - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City SC Advances to U.S. Open Cup Semifinal Following Shootout Win over Nashville SC
- Orlando City Hosts Nashville SC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals
- Kickoff Time Announced for Orlando City Friendly against Arsenal FC
- Orlando City Falls 1-0 On the Road to FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Travels to Take on FC Cincinnati