Kurtis Foster Promoted to Head Coach, Luca Caputi Named as Associate Coach
Kingston - The Kingston Frontenacs announced the promotion of Kurtis Foster as the team's new Head Coach and the hiring of Luca Caputi as Associate Coach this morning. Foster takes over the bench after working as an Assistant Coach with Jay Varady in Kingston last season. An Ottawa-area native, Foster was an Assistant Coach with the Peterborough Petes before joining the Frontenacs. His hockey resume includes playing 5 seasons in the OHL and 15 years of pro hockey, including a decade in the NHL. Caputi, a Toronto-area native, comes to Kingston after 3 seasons as an Assistant Coach with the Guelph Storm. His hockey resume includes playing 4 seasons in the OHL and 8 seasons of pro hockey.
"Over the past year as an Assistant Coach with our team, we've really gotten to know Kurtis," said Darren Keily, General Manager of the Kingston Frontenacs. "With his passion and knowledge, we have all the confidence in Kurtis as our Head Coach."
Foster played his entire OHL career with the Peterborough Petes, from 1997 to 2001. He was drafted in the 2nd round, 40th overall, to the Calgary Flames at the 2000 NHL Entry Draft and played 15 seasons of pro hockey, with teams including the Atlanta Thrashers, Minnesota Wild, Tampa Bay Lightning, Edmonton Oilers, Anaheim Ducks, New Jersey Devils, and Philadelphia Flyers.
Caputi played his entire OHL career with the IceDogs franchise, from 2004 to 2008. He was drafted in the 4th round, 111th overall, by the Pittsburgh Penguins at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft and played 8 seasons of pro hockey, with teams including the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Marlies, Syracuse Crunch and the Norfolk Admirals.
"We got to know Luca during his three seasons assisting in Guelph," said Keily. "With his addition, we feel confident with our young, knowledgeable, coaching staff."
TRAINING CAMP AND REGULAR SEASON
Kingston Frontenacs 2018 Training Camp opens at the end of August, with a home exhibition game at Leon's Centre vs. Ottawa 67's on Sunday, September 2 at 2:00 p.m. The 2018-19 regular season, presented by Scotiabank, begins with in Peterborough on Thursday, September 20, 2018 with the Home Opener on Friday, September 21 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Oshawa Generals.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from July 16, 2018
- Greyhounds' Sandin Signs with Maple Leafs - Soo Greyhounds
- OHL Mourns the Loss of Ray Emery - Soo Greyhounds
- Marco Rossi Commits to 67's - Ottawa 67's
- Otters Hire Shane Clifford as Goaltending Coach - Erie Otters
- Kurtis Foster Promoted to Head Coach, Luca Caputi Named as Associate Coach - Kingston Frontenacs
- OHL 20 in 20 Futures Watch: Oshawa Generals - Oshawa Generals
- Assistant Coach Luca Caputi Hired by Frontenacs - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kingston Frontenacs Stories
- OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week: Brett Neumann
- Fronts Fill the Net in 7-6 Win over North Bay
- Larabie Pots First Career Goal, But Fronts Fall to 67's
- Frustrating Night as Fronts Fall to Sting
- Frontenacs Acquire Constantinou, Martin and 11 Priority Selection Picks from IceDogs for Robertson and Paquette