Kotyk Recalled by Wolf Pack, Barone Released
Greenville, SC - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits, proud ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers and the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack, announced today that defenseman Brenden Kotyk has earned his first career call-up and has joined the Hartford Wolf Pack in the AHL. The rookie defenseman was recalled by the club. The club has also released goaltender Brad Barone.
Kotyk, 26, becomes Greenville's eighth player to earn an AHL promotion after recording 17 points (7G, 10A) in 51 games with the club. The 6-foot-5 blue liner has tallied the third most points on Greenville's defense and is sixth among all ECHL first-year defensemen. Kotyk's season has also been highlighted by three power play goals.
The Regina, Saskatchewan native turned pro this season after playing three seasons at the University of Minnesota-Duluth and served as alternate captain in his senior year. The defenseman logged 97 games in the NCAA with the Bulldogs, earning 23 points (7G, 16A). He helped his alma mater to an NCHC title in 2017 by topping North Dakota 4-3. Kotyk began his first collegiate season at the College of St. Scholastica, logging 19 points (7G, 12A) in 25 points. The defenseman led the Saints blue line in scoring.
Barone, 27, played three games for the Swamp Rabbits facing Florida and South Carolina in the last week. The netminder made 100 saves in his three appearances and helped Greenville to earn a pair of standing points by pushing two games to overtime. The Medfield, Massachusetts native has now played in four ECHL games after making his regular season debut with Atlanta in 2016. The Boston College alum has played in over 100 games, recording most of his action in the SPHL over the last three years. The Swamp Rabbits also released emergency back-up goaltender Nolan Bowker in today's transactions.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 8, 2018
- Nailers Deal Two Ahead of Trade Deadline - Wheeling Nailers
- Kotyk Recalled by Wolf Pack, Barone Released - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - March 8 - ECHL
- Rush Acquire Radjenovic - Rapid City Rush
- Fuel Sign Defenseman James Roll to Ato - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Announce Multiple Transactions - South Carolina Stingrays
- Solar Bears Acquire Robbie Baillargeon from Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Acquire Beukeboom from Worcester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Get D Vasaturo from Kalamazoo for Future Considerations - Reading Royals
- Wings Trade Vasaturo to Reading Royals - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Acquire Kenton Miller from Rapid City - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Acquires Veteran DMan Descoteaux - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Trade Forward for D-Man - Toledo Walleye
- Karabacek, Kile Recalled - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Beast Blow Lead and Lose Close Game - Brampton Beast
- Three Unanswered Destroys Beast, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Thunder Partners with Ron Baker, Children's Miracle Network - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Finalize Trade with Worcester Railers for Ashton Rome - Manchester Monarchs
- Forward Michael Joly Recalled to San Antonio - Colorado Eagles
- Solar Bears Win Streak Snapped by Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Van Stralen Scores Twice in Win vs. Mallards - Wichita Thunder
- Railers Can't Pass the Test in 5- 2 School Day Game Loss in Wheeling - Worcester Railers HC
- Americans Open Road Trip with a 2-1 Shootout Win - Allen Americans
- Morning Hockey as Beast Looking to Even Season Series - Reading Royals
- Paterson Shuts Down Steelheads for Shootout Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Fall to Shorthanded Oilers - Rapid City Rush
- Pauly's Hat Trick Drives Mavericks to 4-1 Win over Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- Oilers End Road Trip with Second Straight Win - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.