Koerner, Pen Toss RailRiders to 4-1 Win
MOOSIC, Pa. - Behind another strong pitching performance, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders defeated the Rochester Red Wings 4-1 on Saturday night at PNC Field.
Armando Alvarez led off the bottom of the second inning with a home run off Rochester starter Sean Nolin (3-3) to give Scranton/Wilkes-Barre a 1-0 lead. The blast was the fourth of the series for Alvarez, who now has seven on the season.
In the bottom of the third, Cristian Perez singled and scored on a two-run opposite-field homer from Hoy Park. The long ball was the team-leading ninth of the season for Park.
RailRiders starting pitcher Brody Koerner (3-3) turned in 5.0 shutout innings in his first start in 11 days due to multiple weather disruptions. The right-hander allowed only two hits and walked one while striking out two in the start.
Greg Weissert followed with two scoreless innings of relief as SWB tacked on an insurance run in the bottom of the seventh on a Park RBI double. Park finished 2-for-3 with a home run, a double, three RBIs, a walk and a stolen base while playing centerfield.
The Red Wings scored a run against Reggie McClain in the top of the eighth, bringing an end to a 24.0-inning streak for the right-hander without allowing an earned run. He recovered with a scoreless ninth to close out the 4-1 victory.
POSTGAME NOTES: The win improved the RailRiders to 23 games over .500, a new high-water mark for the season... At two hours and 25 minutes this was the second-shortest nine-inning game played by the RailRiders this season, with the only shorter game being Wednesday's no-hitter (2:14).
The RailRiders complete their series with the Red Wings on Sunday afternoon at PNC Field. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. RHP Deivi Garcia (2-3, 6.89) gets the start for SWB, while Rochester counters with LHP Josh Rogers (4-5, 5.52). For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from July 24, 2021
- Cazadores de Tormentas Drop Close Contest to Saints - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Defeats Columbus in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Saints Silence Storm Chasers Bats in 3-1 Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Bisons Win Their Fifth Straight, Beating Syracuse, 6-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Lagers pour themselves two with sweep on Saturday - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Muñoz Extends Streak to 18 with Hits in Both Games of Doubleheader - Worcester Red Sox
- Six-Run Eighth Lifts Jumbo Shrimp to Third Straight Last-At-Bat Victory - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Birds of a Feather Homer Together - Louisville Bats
- Sounds Doomed Again by Late-Game Drama - Nashville Sounds
- Stewart and Rodriguez Power Hens to Series Lead - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Lose 4-1 Saturday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Bulls Blast Knights 9-4 - Durham Bulls
- Redbirds Go Deep Three Times, Win 14th Straight - Memphis Redbirds
- Ninth-Inning Homers Not Enough in Indians Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Tovar Stays Hot, But Syracuse Drops Sixth Straight with 6-3 Loss to Buffalo - Syracuse Mets
- Close Game Gets Away from Norfolk in Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- Koerner, Pen Toss RailRiders to 4-1 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-34) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (38-30) - Indianapolis Indians
- July 24 Game Notes: Iowa at Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: July 24, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - July 24, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Scranton Hits 6 Homers in Friday Night Win over Wings - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Games Postponed
- RailRiders Suspended
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 22, 2021
- Taillon Commences MLB Rehab with RailRiders
- Homers That Help Campaign During the Final Stretch