Knicks Add Returning Rights Player Dewan Hernandez
TARRYTOWN, NY - The Westchester Knicks, the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knicks, acquired Dewan Hernandez as a Returning Rights player as announced by the team Sunday afternoon.
Hernandez's, 6'10 235, rights were acquired by Westchester from Rio Grande Valley during preseason in a three-team Draft day trade. Delaware was the third team involved.
Hernandez was drafted in the second round, 59th overall, in the 2019 NBA Draft by the Toronto Raptors following a two-year collegiate career at Miami. He would eventually join Raptors 905 as an affiliate player that same year and re-joined the team prior to the start of 2021 NBA G League single site condensed season. On February 26, 2021, Hernandez was traded to the Vipers. Over the course of his G League career, he has appeared in 23 games (nine starts), averaging 10.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.1 assists.
Before signing back into the G League for the 2021-22 season, Hernandez signed with Hapoel Tel Aviv BC of the Israeli Basketball Premier League. In seven games with the club, Hernandez averaged 16.0 minutes, 7.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and 0.3 assists while earning three starts.
Shortly after the Winter Showcase, the NBA G League announced that its regular season, originally scheduled to tip off on Dec. 27, will begin on Jan. 5, 2022. The delay will give teams an opportunity to safely return players to market after the Christmas holiday and to replenish their rosters following NBA Call-Ups.
Information regarding games originally scheduled between Dec. 27 and Jan. 4 will be provided at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 2, 2022
- Knicks Acquire Raven Lee from Available Player Pool - Westchester Knicks
- Brandon Goodwin Inks Deal with Cleveland Cavaliers - Westchester Knicks
- Knicks Add Returning Rights Player Dewan Hernandez - Westchester Knicks
- Long Island Nets Acquire Seth Allen and Kobi Nwandu - Long Island Nets
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Pierre Jackson and Will Davis II - South Bay Lakers
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Perry Jones - Windy City Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Westchester Knicks Stories
- Knicks Sneak by Go-Go in Overtime; 115-112
- Knicks' Williams Makes History as 905 Outlasts Westchester
- Knicks Acquire NBA Veteran Allen Crabbe; Waive Griffin
- High Octane Offensive Contest Favors Celtics over Knicks
- Knicks Blast Celtics 126-99 for Second Straight Home Victory